Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Vulcan3324

Log Competitions

45 posts in this topic

At another simulation website that I've observed a few times, they have unofficial 'log competitions' run by the members, where a deadline is set, and the submitted logs are voted on by the submitters. I thought it might be fun to have something similar here, hence the topic.

I know some of the vessels have log awards already, but this could be one of those 'STSF-wide' things and even be weekly.

As I said, just a thought. :D

Hmmm, Interesting idea. How do you guys propose making this happen? I'd be curious in hearing ideas....

I LOVE that avatar, by the way.

That said...

My proposal would be that it be a fairly fun, informal way to encourage log writing.

==EXAMPLE==

Ensign Jones, Captain Smith, and Lieutenant Johnson perhaps email their logs to a central coordinator by a certain date determined to be the deadline. This coordinator would then then either make a post in an existing 'competition' topic, and set the date for voting to end. All STSF-ers would then be welcome to post their vote. :D

I thought that this one could be for the entire Fleet, but if you could show me a link, that would be great, Lieutenant.

Agincourt had something along those lines. Check out the Agincourt briefing and logs boards.

Yep, Hanna Beth is correct. We actually have several *competitions* employed on the Agincourt.

Our "Word of the Week" - this is done for a few consecutive weeks. A word is chosen every week by XO Harper, and then we enter logs using word, that are still within the storyline of the sim, and then the entire crew votes on who they think used the word the best within the log.

http://www.stsf.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8857

The "CS Lewis Award": the command team chooses one log every twenty sims to recieve the CS Lewis honor.

http://www.stsf.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8719

Now, as for an entire fleet contest? I have to admit, blanking on any methods. In sim, contests are a bit more condensed, so not sure how to translate that into ideas for a fleet wide contest. Sounds like fun though!!

I like the 'Word of the Week' award, but I was suggesting perhaps a more straight-forward "best of the week" award. Agincourt has some talented writers!

I LOVE that avatar, by the way.

Why thank you! May the FCA shine upon you. :-)

Anyways, yes, this would be a big project to get started. It would require some work so.... keep the ideas coming!!

We'd have to have at least one person volunteering a fair amount of time... to tally votes, man the topics, and keep track of the nominated logs.

There was a featured sim of the week on STSF at one time if I remember correctly.

yeah featured sim, player, and gm

Actually, it's being discussed via AIM to work up a finished, polished proposal. :lol:

What? No more ideas?

with you muon you don't want anymore ideas, because of semi-big brain

with you muon you don't want anymore ideas, because of semi-big brain

I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented. :lol:

Roger on the discussion via AIM. Post results here. The GMs will be having a meeting in the next couple of weeks so.... I was going throw the idea on the table and see what they thought. Thanks!!!

If STSF doesn't wish to hold a more formal, official contest, this is the proposal for a member-run simulation.

Simmers will send in their logs to one collector, who will accept the first seven or eight and create a poll for members to vote on their favorite for the week.

The weekly winners will be placed in a poll at the end of the month to be voted on in a similar fashion for a monthly winner.

At the end of the year, the best logs from each months will be voted on for log of the year.

Each simmer may only submit one log, regardless of how many characters they have.

Each simmer may only submit one log, regardless of how many characters they have.

This is difficult to enforce unless a GM is in charge of making sure no one is cheating. Even then it is possible to create another "character" that the GMs either can't or don't detect.

Trust me. I've done it. I won't name names but I was once "graduated" by a GM I had been simming somewhat regularly with for years and had even met in person. I got a butt-reaming for it, so don't try this at home, but it can happen.

What, exactly, would be the criteria for "best log?" If you mean one that is well-written or creatively inspired, you may be excluding a large group of people who just aren't that good at writing.

Some of the best log-writers I've seen were actually mediocre writers in general. Because you can have a log that's mechanically terrible yet does a great job of covering angles from past sims and setting up opportunities for future simming. Unless you're actually a member of the sim, how can you tell that a log has such an impact?

Unless you can actually come up with some way of rewarding writers who've made meaningful contributions to their sim, you should indicate somewhere that the contest only rewards general talent.

Maybe it would be better phrased as 'favorite log' of the week/month/year. Again, that idea is only a rough plan, it may not be necessary to only have one log per person.

::cuffs Dumbass:: Brilliant move there.

::cuffs Dumbass:: Brilliant move there.

I always knew you were kinky. :lol:

I always knew you were kinky.  :lol:

Dumbass please that was a little TMI and I think everyone is starting to vote whether she will kill you distance herself from you or just except it and then someone will be more then your friend...for the what I don't know. No i'm serious I don't know I haven't been on that long. B)

And about the logs we should have a panel chosen to vote for to see which log is best.

Oh by the way are u going to kill him cause if u are i'll make a killing.

get it killing u know with u killi::stops abprutly::right i'll shut up now :P

Oh and i almost forgot option number 4 u kill me because i well....I don't know just remember u can kill me for a reason i don't know yet.

Edited by Elgor

Ok folks, here's an update. We had a GM meeting the other day but it ran longer than expected so I was unable to bring up the Log Competitions. However, I have emailed the GMs asking them what they think. Hopefully I'll have more info at the first of the year.

In the meantime, please feel free to post more ideas concerning the log competition and ways we could make it work...etc.

Sorry it's taking longer than expected to get an answer. I promise it won't be much longer. Thanks!!

Eh, at least the GM's work faster then the government B)

I also wonder how long the competition would last. A GM, or specified someone, would be required to read, say, up to 20 logs a week for this contest and then "judge" them in his/her own opinion as to the quality of the log. That's time consuming. Who are you going to find that can commit that kind of time on a regular basis?

Other ideas that have come up on this board that were great, and required far less time, fell to the victim of the person who was judging them simply running out of time. The simulation of the month and simmer of the month is a prime example. It was a great idea that we were all for and loved, but if the person on the other end doesn't have time, what can you do? Real life has to come first. Those items were small in comparison to what is being proposed here.

Edited by Garnoopy

Another thing would be to find someone unbiased enough to offiate the contest (if it is member run). Gotta make sure they're just not tipping odds in the favours of their friends or crewmates or even themselves. And as Garn said, finding someone to officiate the contest and read all those logs weekly would be hard, especially for a GM who has a million and one more important things to do in the site and off.