Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tachyon

"Hope is the thing with feathers . . ."

“Hope”

Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune--without the words,

And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little bird

That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,

And on the strangest sea;

Yet, never, in extremity,

It asked a crumb of me.

Personal Log Stardate 0502.21

Lt.jg. Dave Grey

-------------------------------------

Well, the launch of Columbia was nice . . . but I find myself overshadowing everything with the most recent events of my life. I have never before been confronted with a crisis of this magnitude, and I find myself unsure how to deal with it. I’m not sure I can.

Jas’ suggestion that I involve myself in neurology was a good one, yet I wonder what good it will truly do. I am not a renowned neurologist, I’m sure that doctors more experienced than I would have found a cure to Tovanengitis already. I doubt that I could find one in time to save Harriet . . . but there’s always hope, isn’t there?

Part of me seems so determined, so driven that I’m nearly convinced that I will save her. This is a small part though, which is rather sad, and I wish it were bigger. I am mostly just overwhelmed by the consequences of Harriet’s debilitation, as is my entire family.

Yesterday Dr. Tratos took us through the Kübler-Ross model of grievance, which was depressing to say the least. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I think I am still in the denial stage, although not in denial of Harriet’s disease. That itself is real enough; I am in denial of myself. I deny my ability to help, I deny my own emotions in this matter because I must be strong for both myself and my sister.

I must be strong . . . we will get through this. Even in denial, I still have hope.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0