Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sorehl

Fate of the Admiral, Part II

Admiral Wayne Day walked beside the shapeshifter through the stark, too bright corridors of the rebel Dominion ship. Founder Two – his apparent advocate – had had been good as his word. So long as he remained with the changling, his movements had been unrestricted. Of course, there are probably shrouded Jem’Hadar watching my every move, he reasoned.

He didn’t know why the two Founders had kept him at liberty, much less alive, but he knew this was a perfect opportunity to gain intelligence on this new threat – here was a walking, if not breathing, member of the Hundred.

“It would seem our fates are connected,” the admiral ventured.

Founder Two kept walking in silence.

Wayne bit back his anger. “If your people want something from us, you could at least have the decency to say so,” he challenged. “Or are we supposed to divine some deeper meaning from the attack on our fleet?”

The Founder actually stopped at this remark. He turned, displaying a fervent look on his smooth features. “The same kind of flailing, thoughtless act that we blame the solids for.”

If he’s willing to talk, Wayne realized, it’s time to pursue the tough questions. “From your comments before, I gathered you didn’t condone it,” he pressed. “You couldn’t stop it? That was a starship with hundreds of lives. Your friend wiped them out without even a declaration of war.”

“Our species is not prone to dissension, Admiral,” the Founder answered. “Unity is order; conflict is chaos.”

“This is no time for trite mottos!” Wayne retorted. “Your little rebellion is on the verge of starting another cross-quadrant war.”

“Not yet,” came the Founder’s terse reply.

Wayne was a bit taken aback. He eyed the shapeshifter carefully. “What do you mean?”

Founder Two gazed at him, looking introspective. “This is a struggle to control our species. The others in my group want you to stay out of it. They don’t trust you, and frankly, they’re afraid of you.”

“I don’t understand.”

“No changling has ever harmed another," he explained, "Until they tried to conquer your people.”

Interesting that it was Odo, another of the Hundred, the admiral recalled, who had been the first to break that sacred rule. “But we’ve made peace with the Founders.”

“We are not just Founders, Admiral. We are the Hundred,” the shapeshifter explained. “We were the ones sent out to explore the galaxy, bring back knowledge and new perspectives. But in our absence, the Great Link has been… infected... and corrupted by the very peace you forced on them.”

Wayne shook his head bitterly. “From a war they forced on us. Worlds laid waste, millions of dead.”

“Yes, I can almost see why your people considered genocide.” The Founder let that statement sink in, then turned away. “It will be a difficult challenge to make the New Link understand you shouldn’t be exterminated - and me with you. The council will decide once we reach the Vortex. As you say, our fates are connected.”

Wayne paused a moment, wondering if his advocate was up to the challenge. He quicked his pace to follow, enroute to their joint date with destiny.

Edited by Sorehl