Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crash Calestorm

Clandestine Dealings
The Devil You Know

The following log takes place 24 Hours after the 12.12.11 Sim…

You can find anyone in the galaxy if you try hard enough.

She had called in some markers, sold out to the proverbial devil once or twice, and contracted an information broker who put her in contact with the person that she wanted to speak to.

The two way transmission connected on a secure line, untraceable and private. The stern visage of Captain Ashton Calestorm met the equally stern expression of Mareena, Mistress of the Black Kris Cartel organization.

“Well, I see you’ve had a bit of excitement my dear Captain Calestorm.” The green skinned Orion woman smiled the smile of a true predator, yet she was also someone who easily commanded respect. It was an odd combination, but effective.

The cartel leader referred to the bandage on the side of Cale’s neck, the result of a graze would from a flying star. Another couple inches to the left and the damn thing would’ve hit her in the jugular...

The Captain kept her expression respectfully neutral. “Miss Mareena. I hope you are well. Your daughter?”

“She is detained. I thought a few months working the ‘Rim with one of my salvage crews would do her a world of good.”

Cale smirked. “So she’s grounded?”

Mareena lifted a brow. “If she attempts to leave the vessel, she will be shot on site.”

The smirk dropped. “…ok-aaaay. Hardcore.”

“She should consider herself fortunate that our financial backers did not see fit to have her dumped at Rura Penthe. The Klingons do not care who is interred there, so long as the bribe money is good.”

TMI. Definitely TMI. “I’ve got a question. I’d like a straight answer.”

“Well, onto the business at hand then. You want information on the Ssan*?”

She just nodded in reply to the older woman.

“The Ssan are warriors of the night. Assassination is a tradition on their world. Some of the less blooded clans turn to mercenary work and Litasha dealt with these mongrels, hiring them for hit contracts or security.”

“Were you aware of the hit taken out on myself and my crew?” Crash’s tone was flinty.

“No. That little fiasco is all Dear Daughter, again operating outside our interests; I was not aware of anything prior to the Broker contacting me.”

“I’m assuming this latest transgression will be, ah, dealt with your usual understanding manner?”

Mareena waved a hand dismissively. “It already has. Captain Eshira is one of my best operatives. She runs a - what is that terminology of you Humans, Old School? - Orion pirate vessel. She employs this exquisitely crafted black leather whip studded with silver…”

The Starfleet officer winced and held up an admonishing finger. “I don’t need the details, thank you. Just remind me never to get shanghaied by one of your captains…”

The laughter was hearty and genuine. “With that personality of yours? All honor and fire? My dear Captain Calestorm, you would not last a day in service to one of my operatives before feeling the lash. You are the type that ends up quite dead or in charge of the entire crew and vessel.”

“Um, thank you? I think?”

“Captain. Would you be interested in keeping the lines of communication…open between us?”

Cale regarded her, chin tilted up, eyes squinted slightly. “Why?”

“You attempt clean up the border territories. I’m interested in running a business, my late husband with his ambitions and hyper-active daughter aside. If I were to hear anything that would be of interest to your mission, I’d let you know. You would do the same for me.”

“We would employ the same information broker as go between?”

“Yes.”

“It’s a deal, Mistress Mareena.”

“Very good. Safe travels my dear Captain Calestorm.”

The two way transmission sequence blinked out of existence, replaced by the stylized armored hand bearing lightning and olive branches symbol of the USS Comanche Creek.

Admiral Shauna Coyote quietly emerged from the shadows to stand beside Crash. “Wow.”

“Mm-hm. As I said – she’s on the level, sort of, but not a person you want to cross.”

“What do you think about the family link to CDR Wesley?” Coyote rested a hip on the desk, turning to face Calestorm,

“I’m damn well gonna do what I can to protect her, but Audraya can take care of herself - she’s Bob Wesley’s kid all the way except straight genetics. I’m not so much concerned about Mareena as Litasha; far as I can tell, Big Mama could care less about the blood ties.”

Calestorm paused and waved a hand towards the desktop monitor. “Hell, she didn’t even bring it up just now. If she wanted something done about the connection, it probably would have been done years ago.”

She eyed her friend and commanding officer. “Your instincts were on the mark Shauna. You think this’ll work?”

“We’ll see where it takes us. She’s the Devil we know, Captain.”

“Aye Admiral, the Devil we know...”

----

* The Ssan are from the 'Shadows on the Sun' Star Trek novel by Michael Jan Friedman (1993)