Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vakhtang_Dalsazashvili

The Choices We Make - Part 2

Meritorious Achievement Award

MAAward.png

How much can one choice affect our lives? How much can that one choice affect the lives of others? If you had the chance to live a choice over again, would you choose differently? Or would you walk down the same path?

---

"Greetings and welcome to the 'The First Chair'. Your destination for the best access to the Arts! My name is Anton Weiss" the interviewer proclaimed to the camera. "Today, I am backstage at the Mariinsky Theatre with Vakhtang Dalsazashvili, the current music director of the famed Mariinsky Symphony Orchestra, and youngest person ever to hold that title ." he turned to face his guest. "Greetings Maestro, and thank you for joining us here today on 'The First Chair'".

"It's a pleasure to be here, Herr Weiss." Vakhtang replied with a respectful nod, utilizing is extremely limited knowledge of German.

"Tell me, Maestro. You are entering your 3rd season as music director here. How has the preparation leading up to this season been different than the first two?"

Vakhtang took a moment to ponder his answer, when talking to the producers a few weeks prior, they told Vakhtang that they'd provide him with the set of questions that Weiss intended on asking upon their arrival to the Mariinsky. However, the team arrived much later than anticipated, leaving little time for set up and prep. So Vakhtang was not provided with the list, however, he had seen Weiss's interviews before, so he had a general idea of what to expect.

"Its actually gone quite well, actually." He began. "During that first season, we were all in shock from the sudden passing of my mentor and predecessor, Fyodor Petrov, as well as, quite honestly, my appointment as music director. However, the shows for the season had already been chosen, and most of the numbers had been rehearsed. So there was really no time for the pressure and gravity of the situation to really set in." he told his interviewer, leaning back in his chair some.

"With my second season, I was extremely nervous when it came to choosing the works that we would play. Although I had spent time with my predecessor in seasons past during this phase, I entered it by myself lacking some of the confidence that someone in my position should have. Therefore, I believe I ended up choosing a very. . .safe set of shows, for lack of a better word. One not very representative of the boldness and grandeur my predecessor was known for. This season, however, I believe we've captured that boldness yet again, and I believe the audience will be in for quite a treat here at the Mariinsky theatre."

Vakhtang cringed inwardly at the sound of his last sentence, thinking he came off as too commercial. It didn't matter though, Weiss seemed satisfied with his candidness about his performance in previous seasons. So maybe the plug when unnoticed to the audience.

"Looking at your selections for this season, it certainly appears so." Weiss said, nodding and smiling politely. "Tell me more about the show you have planned for opening weekend, Maestro."

"Ah yes, indeed. For this season, we're paying homage to the aforementioned boldness this theatre has become known for over its long and storied history. We're playing the music of some of the greatest Russian composers whose music premiered right here at the Mariinsky." he said, keeping his eyes on Weiss. The producers had told him to try and refrain from looking into the camera when answering questions. They told him that presenting the interview as a "conversation between two music enthusiasts" was better for the viewer. Vakhtang, never thought of it otherwise.

"And I hear the finale of the night is a work actually making it's actually debut." Weiss replied, referred to Vakhtang's concerto.

Vakhtang could not help but let a small pride induced grin escape the edge of his lips. "Yes, I have constructed a Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, which will make its debut here on Friday, yes" he replied to Weiss, not really knowing what else to say about it. He didn't want to come across as boastful or haughty about it.

"And this is your first original work, yes?"

"Yes it is." He kept the answer short again, again at of fear of being boastful.

"I for one am extremely excited to hear it, and I must thank you for allowing me to preview it during your final rehearsal tomorrow."

Vakhtang bit the inner part of his lip, biting back a grin. 'Who's being boastful?' he silently chided his interviewer. "Not a problem, Herr Weiss. It's a pleasure to have a man with such deep appreciation for the Arts in our theatre."

Weiss let out an embarrassed chuckle and Tang smiled inwardly, he had successfully stroked the man's ego. 'The rest of the interview should probably be a breeze' he thought to himself.

"Much has been mentioned amongst critics about your meteoric rise, Maestro. Some say you advanced much too quickly and simply weren't ready for such an undertaking. What do you have to that?"

Vakhtang, let out quick blink, immediately redacting his last thought. "Well, I'd say that I have to agree with them" he began. "I probably wasn't ready to take on the roll. I was raw, relatively inexperienced, and probably had no business conducting an orchestra of this stature and magnitude so early into my career. However, my predecessor, as well as the impresario of the Mariinsky, Mr. Igor Rostov, saw something in me that maybe I myself didn't, and probably still haven't recognized" he paused for a half a moment. Weiss's expression told him that he was definitely on the right track with his answer. "However, I owe it to both of them, the orchestra, and my patrons to discover whatever the saw for myself, and believe I have, and my Concerto, as well as the musical selections we have chosen this season, will show our community just that."

Weiss nodded in approval. "Have you any more original works under construction at the moment?"

Vakhtang nodded. "I do, actually. I am currently working in consort with the esteemed Giancarlo Baggio of Italy on a pair of operas, one in Russian, and one in Italian."

"You're fluent in Italian?" Weiss asked, surprise creeping into his voice.

"I am not, actually. And my dear friend Giancarlo is not fluent in Russian either. We are each writing the librettos in our respective languages, and the music for the other."

Weiss nodded in interest. "That sounds fascinating, and when can we expect these two operas to debut?"

"Not until next year, I'm afraid. We'll be serving as guest conductors during our respective opera seasons."

"So you'll actually be conducting the orchestra at Teatro La Fenice in Venice ?" Weiss asked .

"Yes I will, and I can't tell you how excited I am about it, it is an absolute honor to even be allowed to step foot on that stage." Vakhtang said, meaning every word of it. He had to fight the urge to pinch himself yet again at the mention and thought of that trip.

"Indeed it is, maestro." Weiss said, before leaning forward in his seat, changing gears a little bit. "Now, your mother and father own a highly successful intergalactic starship maintenance company."

"They do, yes." Vakhtang confirmed.

"If I may ask, maestro. How does a young man from such a background end up in the Arts?" Weiss asked. "What I mean, is that you probably had a decent path sent for you. From what I've been told, you are quite resourceful in your own right, and probably would have made and excellent engineer. What made you choose the arts?"

Vakhtang took some time to think about the question before responding. "Well, my parents had always been big supporters of the Arts. They were donors and regular patrons at the Batumi Opera House, there in our hometown. All of my older brothers and sisters had learned to play an instrument, however, I seemed to have a natural knack for the piano at a very young age. My parents found me an instructor to work with me a few times a week, and that's where I learned to read music and understand the terminology and really figure out –how- to play to piano, because its so much more that just hitting the keys." Vakhtang began.

"So as I grew up, I spent much of my time in school, working with father on small engineering projects, and playing the piano. As I grew older, I knew that I was going to have to choose. I had already served as a guest Pianist at the Batumi Opera, as well as some of the other smaller Theatres around Georgia . So I knew there was a chance for me to succeed in music, and that's where my heart truly lied. However, my mind knew that making it in the Arts was an extremely difficult task, while I had at a pretty set future if I decided to go the engineering route. Starfleet Academy had offered me an appointment, not to mention all the opportunities within my father's company. Yet, I couldn't decide. My desire to play the piano was a strong as my practical side, which new that I should become and engineer.

"So how did you come to the decision of musician?"

"I flipped a coin."

"You flipped a coin?"

"Yes," Vakhtang said, with a smile "I flipped a coin. . .Heads I'm an engineer, tails I'm a musician. It came up tails, and here I am."

Weiss let out a laugh "Well, I think I speak for music enthusiasts across the galaxy when I say that we're glad the coin landed the way it did."

Vakhtang laughed as well. "I am too, Herr Weiss. I am too."

Weiss's laughing subsided. "Well, that's all the time we have for today, maestro. I want to thank you once again for joining us here on 'The First Chair'.

"Always a pleasure, Herr Weiss. Always a pleasure."

The two shook hands, and Weiss turned to the camera. "Thank you to our audience as well for joining us here on 'The First Chair'. Please join us next week, as correspondent Diego Sierra heads down to the legendary Sydney Opera House for a sit down with famed clarinet player Eidur Eidursson. Until then, we bid you farewell."

---

"You flipped a coin?" PO2 Soandso asked incredulously.

"Yup, I flipped a coin." Tang confirmed, taking a bite of his ham and cheese omelet. "If it landed heads, the Academy, tails, the Conservatory," he told the Petty Officer, cracking a smile from the look on his face. "I don't have to tell you how it landed. I'm sure you could figure that part out."

Soandso just shook his head. "So I assume that's how you plan on handling this decision?" he asked Tang. "With a flip of a coin?"

Vakhtang shook his head. "No, no. This decision deserves much more thought."

Soandso chortled as he sipped his coffee "And choosing your career path doesn't?"

Tang chuckled a little bit. "I'm not saying I necessarily handled that decision in the best way" he told his counterpart. "But I don't regret it, either."

"Not even a little."

Vakhtang shook his head. "If I would have gone into music. If I was lucky, I would have probably been buried somewhere in backwater theatre somewhere in Siberia , playing to crowds of less than 50 people and earning a paupers wage for it. Or probably back in Batumi , working as a maintenance tech in my father's company, playing piano in churches and restaurants for free." He said, taking a another bite of his omelet. "The classical music industry is a tough one to break into. People do not part with their seats very easily, and when one becomes open, it is a fierce competition, and largely based on who you know. I really had no connections outside of Batumi , and certainly not in St. Petersburg , where I would have gone" he shook his head again, sipping his juice. "No, I made the right decision.

Soandso thought about it for a second before nodding in agreement. "Yeah, you're probably right" he agreed. Letting a long pause set in as he took a sip of his coffee. "Still," he began. "Part of you must feel a twinge of would could have been."

Vakhtang paused and thought about that point for a second. "I guess so." He said, looking down at the table in thought. "I love the piano, and I love performing. I did both at the Academy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it." He said, bringing his eyes back up to Soandso thinking about it a little more. "So, I guess the answer is yes. It's what I really -wanted- do, but was scared to do it, for all the reasons mentioned. But like I said, I'm not bitter or regretful of my choice."

Soandso nodded. "Good," he told Tang. "As long as you're happy with your decision, then that's all that matters."

Vakhtang just nodded, taking a bite of his omelet. He remembered the days in which he labored of the decision, when it got to the point of no return, that's when he pulled the coin out. Even after getting to the Academy, he partially regretted his choice. But after spending some time at the Academy and really diving into his engineering work, that regret slowly washed away. Still, playing in the Academy orchestra did occasionally cause those twinges of regret, and grandiose yet fleeting thoughts of what might have been. He had been successful in burying them deep within his subconscious, until now.

Everyone close to him in Batumi told him to follow his heart. Instead, he followed a coin. He wanted to be pianist, he wanted to be a performer, and he had missed out on his opportunity because he was scared to follow his heart. . . .Vakhtang took the last bite of his omelet. 'Not this time' he thought to himself. 'I won't let fear drive me into a decision.'

"You know what?" he said, slamming his fork down with intent and purpose. "I'm going to follow my heart." he told his counterpart. "I'm going to stay here on the Manticore. It's what I want to do. I believe it's what I was meant to do. I was meant to be here." He gave a firm and hardy nod as if to finalize it in his mind. "And hey, what's the worst that could happen?"

Soandso smiled "Good for you, and I'm glad you're coming with us."

Tang smiled back "Glad to be coming with you."