Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vakhtang_Dalsazashvili

The Lives We Lead - Part 1

Meritorious Achievement Award

MAAward.png

Two lives, one man. How do we get here? What forces guide us along the paths we choose? Is it fate? Or is it random luck? There's much talk about life going 'according to plan, and about what is 'meant to be' . What if there were was more than one plan? What if multiple lives were meant to be?

----

The Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg boasted one of the finest histories in the arts. Some of the greatest names in both ballet and music and graced its grounds. Rachmaninoff, Baryshnikov, Stravinsky, Pavlova, Shostakovich. . . . Now Dalsazashvili. The music director of the Mariinsky Symphony Orchestra stood upon its hallowed stage. Staring up at the empty hall there were still days when Vakhtang could not believe his own eyes.

Just over 6 years prior, Vakhtang was plucked from the conservatory here in St. Petersburg as mere first year piano student by the former music director, the renowned Fyodor Petrov. Himself an accomplished pianist, he was astounded by the young Georgian's deep understanding of music, not to mention his near virtuosic abilities on the piano itself. Much to the chagrin of the local music community, Petrov hand selected Vakhtang for the vacated principal pianist position. The choice, although met with initial resistance, was eventually accepted, and even lauded by its former critics, once they heard Vakhtang play.

It was no secret that Petrov was grooming Vakhtang as his replacement. At the age of 52, retirement was still a while off, but he believed it was never too early to ensure ones legacy would live on in a successor. The two spent countless hours together, discussing music. The young apprentice even served in an advisory capacity for two of Petrov's original works. Things seemed to be progressing nicely.

Then the unexpected happened. While on a visit to the Memory Prime to perform research, the transport Petrov was on was attacked and destroyed during a botched hijacking by Orion pirates, killing all aboard. Vakhtang, as well as the rest of the classical music community, was devastated by the loss. With the loss came uncertainty for him as well. With a new music director, Vakhtang's status as protégé would most likely be over. He would most certainly keep his place as principal pianist, but dreams of being a conductor and music director, at least at the Mariinsky, would be over.

All that changed once Petrov's last will and testament was made public. To the surprise of everyone, he had named Vakhtang his successor as conductor and music director to the Mariinsky Symphony Orchestra. It was a move that astounded the classical music community. At 22, he became the youngest ever to assume that role.

Now entering his 3rd season as music director, Vakhtang had done well in silencing most of his critics. His final coup de grace to their criticism, however, his Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in C, was to be the first of many original works, with this also being his first performance at the Piano since had taken over the role as music director. It had gone well in rehearsal, and its first performance was to be just about a week from now, during the orchestra's season premiere.

It was to be a celebration of the history of the Mariinsky. The orchestra was scheduled to play some of the most famous works that made their debut on that stage. Selections from The Nutcracker and The Sleeping Beauty, the Overture to Ruslan and Lyudmila, and Night on Bald Mountain were to be played, with the finale to set to be Vakhtang's Concerto. All in all, it was to be a big night. His family was set to attend, as well as many of his friends from Batumi , along with some of the biggest names in the classical music, and a small number of Federation dignitaries.

As the day drew closer, his restlessness grew exponentially. Everything had gone according to plan and schedule, the music sounded great, his composition sounded great, there should be no reason for Vakhtang to feel the nervousness he now felt. In fact, he hadn't felt this nervous since his first performance as conductor. Of course, none of those times had be been premiering his own work, so it was probably warranted.

"You know, лапочка" a voice called from behind him. "Standing and staring at the empty seats is not going to make the day come any quicker."

Ilya Klykova Dalsazashvili emerged from the shadows that draped across the rear of the stage. The beautiful ballet dancer moved across the floor just as graceful as she did while was dancing. If there was ever a moment where Vakhtang would feel that his life was anything other than charmed, all he had to do was catch a glimpse of his wife, and he would snap back to reality. The two had met when Vakhtang was brought aboard as principal pianist. Ilya herself was a member of the famed Mariinsky Ballet. The two had hit it off immediately, marrying within a year of their meeting.

Vakhtang slipped his arm around his wife as she reached his side. "I know that, Ангел." he replied. "I just have never been this nervous for a show. This is the biggest show of my life, you know." He told her, looking down at her with thoughtful eyes.

Ilya giggled "How could I forget?" she chided him. "Every time you talk about it you mention it that." Vakhtang looked away, partially embarrassed. Ilya had been more than patient with him over the past few months as he prepped for this show. She knew how much it meant to him, and had been completely supportive. Still, Vakhtang couldn't help but feel a little guilty. All the extra preparation, and the subsequent near nervous breakdowns and late nights pounding away at the piano in his study meant less time he was spending with her.

"I'm sorry." He said, bringing himself back into eye contact with him wife. "And I want to thank you for putting up with me. I couldn't have made it through these past months without you."

"You're my husband, I'd do anything for you." she replied, affectionately. "Я тебя люблю, лапочка."

"I love you too, Ангел." He replied back.

"Now," she said, her tone growing a little more playful. "As I recall, the music director gave the orchestra the day off, correct?"

"You are correct." He replied, his face turning a little red, as he knew exactly where she was going with this line of questioning.

"If that's so, then why is the music director here at the Theatre." She asked, putting her arm around him. "Isn't that setting a bad example?"

Vakhtang couldn't help but smile, she was indeed right. He had given the orchestra the today and tomorrow off. They had worked tirelessly for hours and on end, to the point where he decided to give them an extra two days off prior the last few rehearsals. The point was to save them from burning out in the days leading up to the show. He had told them to take two days off, and engage themselves in something other than the music. Yet here he was, not heeding his own advice.

"I suppose you're right" he conceded. "So what do you have in mind?"

Ilya smiled up at her husband. "How about a walk along the river, dinner on the beach, and a night of you all to myself."

Vakhtang bent down and kissed his wife passionately. "That sounds like a great idea, Ангел." He told her, taking her by the hand. "Lead the way."

---

Main Engineering was eerily quiet. There was no music, no talking. Only the sound of engines humming coupled with his own soft breathing kept Vakhtang company. Yet his mind was awash with a thousand thoughts and voices running through his head. Vakhtang was faced with a decision, one he thought would be much easier than it was actually turning out to be.

The Manticore he sat in today was not of this universe. It was not supposed to be here. The Manticore he was supposed to be on had been reduced to rubble, due to the catastrophic events surrounding the last Hex drive jump attempt. Despite this information coming to light, he had been given a choice. He could set off with the Coxeter, and head back to the nearest Starfleet facility, and, after a thorough and most likely excruciating de-brief by the temporal police, be sent on his way to another assignment.

His other choice was to stay here. He obviously had the qualifications to be here. He knew and had began to become acquainted with many of the Manticore's engineering nuances, and the crew had seemed to accept him both prior to and after the revelation of where they were. Vakhtang felt like he belonged here, that he was meant to be here. Yet there were so many questions that came along with the possibility of him going back.

As he understood it, life in the other universe was predominantly similar with a few minor changes here and there. Of course, there was also the issue that, in that universe, there would be another Vakhtang Dalsazashvili floating around somewhere. And therein lie the quandary. What business did he have intruding into another universe?

The choice should have been a simple one, he should stay here with the Coxeter. However, there was something nagging at him in the back of his mind, telling him that that was wrong decision, that his place was here, on the Manticore.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Aloysius Soandso took a seat next to his deep in thought counterpart. He sat for a few moments, studying the conflict in Vakhtang's face before he spoke. "It looks to me like you haven't come up with a decision yet."

Vakhtang peered over at his visitor, and just shook his head slightly. The confusion was evident in his eyes, it had been hours since he was told to make a choice, and he wasn't any closer to deciding.

"Would you like some of my advice?" Soandso offered, as was his nature. Vakhtang met his eyes with a grin. The man meant well, but probably wasn't the type of person one should take life lessons from. "I'm sure you're just going to give it to me anyways if I say no."

Soandso chuckled. "Darn right. You know me pretty well already." he said, drawing a slight chuckle from Vakhtang. "My advice would be to just -decide-." He told him the Ensign.

Vakhtang waited a few seconds to see if Soandso was going to add to the point, he didn't. "Just. . .-decide-?" he said, skepticism creeping into his voice.

"Yeah!" Soandso replied "Just decide! There's no right or wrong answer here. Whatever you choose is what's meant to be."

Vakhtang just stared at the man. "I understand that, Al." he said. "But I do owe this decision some sort of due diligence."

"Who says so?"

"The other Vakhtang sitting in the universe you came from says so." Tang replied.

"Oh. . ." Soandso paused. "Well. . .Who the hell cares what he thinks?"

"Shouldn't I care? The last thing I want is for me. . .or the other me. . .to be locked up in some prison cell by the temporal police because we ran into each other at Maturin Station, because he's waiting for you guys to show up."

"Bah!" Soandso retorted. "That kind of stuff is just old wives tales, they don't do that sort of thing." he paused for a moment "Do they?"

Vakhtang threw his hands up. "I don't know! But I sure wouldn't want to find out first hand if they do!"

Soandso paused for a second. "Okay, lets attack it from this angle." He began, leaning forward in his chair. "When I was finished with basic training, I had to make my career choice, so I could be sent off to the appropriate training facility. I was torn between botany and maintenance . . ."

"Botany?" Vakhtang interrupted, raising a eyebrow.

"Yes, botany." Soandso replied indignantly, "I like plants."

"Yeah. . .but," Tang began "You couldn't grow athlete's foot if you were running around barefoot in a puddle of Targ spit." he teased.

"Easy there, Music man." Soandso warned, with a grin.

"Playing a piano is twice as manly as picking flowers, but proceed with your point."

Al leaned back in his chair, "Ok then, so I went to the counselor to seek out some advice. And she told me that I was having a 'battle between heart and mind'." He told Vakhtang. "My heart told me maintenance. I loved the stars, I loved the thought of space travel and working on board a starship. My mind, on the other hand, told me to go into botany. There were very few enlistees that did, so there was a definite need. Plus, working in a ground based scientific field, it would have made it easy for me to obtain my degree and get myself on the officer track."

"So why didn't you do it?" Vakhtang asked "It seemed like the smarter decision."

The Petty Officer pursed his lips. "I felt that I wouldn't be as happy with myself and my career if I did it. And now, I don't regret it. I mean, look at me. " He said, motioning around. "I'm on the USS Manticore, the flagship Black Ops vessel. You don't get here unless are good at what you do, I wouldn't trade this for anything."

"So you're telling me to go with heart over mind?"

"I'm not telling you to do anything." Soandso replied.

"Then what was the point of your story?" Vakhtang shot back, getting a little annoyed.

Soandso paused for a few seconds. "I don't know. . .I guess. . .Yeah. . .I mean you've had to face those kind of decisions before haven't you?"

Vakhtang had indeed faced a decision like this before. And it was the main reason why he ended up here. "Yeah, I have." He said, not offering up any more.

"Tell me about it, talking through it may help you decide how you handle this decision."

He took a deep breath, pondering whether or not he should talk about it. But he figured that there was no harm in it. "Ok. . .It wa. . ." Just then, the Tang's communicator came to life. "Power Resource team to Tang." It called out.

"Dalsazashvili here, go ahead."

"Could you head down here, sir? We've got a power routing issue that we'd like your input on. Nothing major, but we feel that we should consult with you first before we do anything."

"No problem, I'll be up there in 2 minutes." Vakhtang stood up, eyeing Soandso as he did. "I tell you what, Al. Meet me for breakfast in the mess tomorrow and I'll tell you about it."

The Petty Officer smiled. "Sounds like a plan, sir."

Tang nodded with a half smile "Good, now get your butt back to work." He said, heading off towards the TL.