Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garnoopy

"The Baseball Game"

Meritorious Achievement Award

MAAward.png

Commander Garnoopy

Chief Engineering Officer

USS Manticore, NCC-5852

Stardate 50903.01

“The Baseball Game”

“Why, Ms. Murray how are you this evening?” Garnoopy asked.

Janet turned and looked at Garn, “I’m doing quite delightful Commander Garnoopy. I dare say though this wine is beginning to go to my head.”

Garn chuckled, “Yes, well, they certainly outdid themselves at this fundraiser didn’t they? Not one thing seems to be out of place. The wine is especially excellent.”

“Well you know how the counsel likes to put on a show. A little wine here, some appetizers there and some good music” she replied.

He smiled at that, and was about to say something when a tap on his shoulder startled him.

“Garn! How the bloody heck are you?” the man said in a thick Scottish accent.

Trying to avoid seeming foolish at not knowing this man’s name, Garnoopy stuck out his hand, “I’m doing quite well! How have you been good sir?”

The Scot laughed heavily, “Quite well. Quite well. Keeping busy as usual.”

“Yes, I know that feeling” Garn responded and then not forgetting Janet standing by him, he turned to introduce this man to her, hoping that he might be able to figure out his name, only to find that Janet had disappeared.

“That’s very odd” Garn said. “I could have sworn she was standing right here.”

He turned to look at the unknown man to find him missing. Garn’s head swiveled, looking around for the two missing guests, but realizing suddenly that even the entire crowd had vanished.

A crash resounded across the room and Garnoopy turned, startled, only to find that the room was gone. He was standing in what appeared to be a large field. His tuxedo had changed into a pair of overalls.

He quickly moved across the field, knowing that a storm was brewing and he had to get home before the lightning started up. Just last week a boy in his 6th grade class had been struck by lightning and nearly died. The entire town had been on high alert – fearful that their children would be hit again.

But the storm was brewing faster than he could move and the wind began to pick up, starting to howl across the large open field. Trees in the distance could be seen starting to sway and a crash was heard in the distance as the first bolt made contact with the ground.

He began to run as quickly as he could. Droplets of rain could be felt on his forehead as he moved. Despite his best efforts, though, he could tell in this battle of man versus nature, he was losing as the storm was rolling across the sky.

A crash resounded and a light blinded Garn. The bolt of lightning had struck just three meters in front of him. He fell backwards, heart pumping and tried to stand, turning, when a tingling went through his body. The lightning, using him as a ground pole, impacting the top of his head and traveled quickly downwards. Each cell in his body accelerated and sent what felt as though a thousand tiny pinpricks through his nervous system.

Garn didn’t even have time to scream.

He gasped for air and shouted, “Lieutenant Betty, seal the breach now!”

The response was quick, “I can’t seem to sir! The plasma is leaking too quickly!”

The plasma was filling engineering and Garn knew they were losing. “Alright, everyone out! Now!” he shouted.

Without warning the plasma conduit erupted and screams could be heard as engineers were burned, their bodies singed with the several thousand-degree temperature liquid. People ran from the room with skin missing from entire sides of their bodies.

Garn tapped a panel and activated the emergency containment seals for engineering but it was too late. The plasma had flowed out of engineering down several conduits and was filling sections of the ship. Alarms were sounding as evacuation was beginning across dozens of sections.

The heat was rising and Garn was sweating as he tried to stop the plasma flow before everyone ended up dead.

Turning, he went to open a Jeffries tube in an attempt to get back into the sealed section to shut off a valve, but before he could Dr. Mele grabbed him by the shoulders and shouted, “No Garn! I won’t let you go! It’s too dangerous!”

Garn tried to shove Kyle away, “I have to shut the valve! You know that’s my job Kyle!”

“I won’t let you do it! I won’t let you go in!” Kyle shouted.

Trying to writhe out of Kyle’s grasp, Garn could see a hint of desperation the doctor's eyes. Could the man be more afraid of Garn dying than of losing the ship? Garn tried twisting away, feeling Mele’s strong, powerful grip. But Kyle was too quick for Garn and as the sedative filled his body, he could hear him talking from what seemed like someplace far off in the distance.

“It’ll be ok Garn. You have radiation poising. This will help the pain.”

And Garn drifted back to sleep.