Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T'Prise

Slipstream

Meritorious Achievement Award

MAAward.png

T'Prise glanced at her department head, pausing for a moment before speaking. "Perhaps you are right; however, the events related to the Wanderlust have made me more cautious regarding my work."

Escher nodded in agreement. "Damn right I'm right. We need people like you working on problems like this. I'm glad that you've decided to continue your research."

"After a thorough review of the data, it was logical to conclude the accident was the result of another unauthorized test, which occurred after I had departed from the bridge," she continued, rationalizing the reasons for changing her decision.

"Which means it wasn't your fault," he responded. "I never thought you were the error, T'Prise. You're much too meticulous of a scientist, and besides from what you tell me you weren't doing anything remotely likely to cause the accident."

"Your vote of confidence notwithstanding, the reasonable course of action would be to continue the research," she replied. "The technology would be invaluable to the Federation."

"As I said," he agreed. "I also must admit a slightly selfish motive - if you can figure out the problems, get a working model, the Manticore could be the first to be outfitted with the drive. It wouldn't be the first time we've been used as technological guinea pigs." He grew quiet for a moment as his memory took him back to all the times new technology went horribly wrong on the Manticore.

Her next statement snapped him out of his reverie. "I have spent the past several days reviewing the data and created a holodeck program to simulate the Wanderlust and its initial engine tests. Perhaps you would care to review my findings?"

Absolutely," he replied, very much taken aback. "I've never seen it simulated before."

Returning her attention to the computer console, she began inputting commands. "Creating a simulation was helpfully in examining the incident." She pulled an isolinear chip from the computer console and stood. "Here is the program; we can use this to temporarily input it into the holodeck databanks."

They exited the lab, moving towards the turbolift. "Holodeck," he requested as they entered the compartment. The lift moved, accelerating under their feet.

They stood in companionable silence for a moment, before she spoke. "Sir, do you have any idea what this mission is that Inspector General Morris spoke of?"

"I have no idea. You know...I've been on this ship for a few years, and I've never been offered the chance to leave before we embark on a new mission. I know that the Manticore regularly does insane stuff...but I'm honestly a little worried."

They exited the lift and moved into the holodeck antechamber. Pulling out a panel on the console, T'Prise plugged the isolinear chip into a vacant slot and began tapping keys. "It is our duty to uphold that oath we took as Starfleet officers and never shirk our responsibilities to the Federation. However, why Inspector General Morris would suggest that we disregard our training and duties as Starfleet officers and desert the Manticore, is beyond all logical comprehension. While I am incapable of feeling anxiety regarding a mission, I do believe I understand your concern."

Escher cocked his head, thinking over her statement. "Honestly, now that I think about it, we're on a Black Ops ship. If he had commandeered a standard ship for a dangerous mission, I would understand the warning. But anyone who would actually leave at that kind of invitation certainly wouldn't be aboard Manticore in the first place. It almost feels like…he's doing it for show."

She finished with the console and turned to face the holodeck as the doors opened. "Perhaps he felt that with so many new crew members aboard, extending such an invitation would be wise."

The black and yellow grid transformed to the bridge of a Nova Class Starship, operational, but unmanned. She turned to look at him. "Welcome aboard the USS Wanderlust, Commander Escher."

He stepped onto the smallish bridge and looked with appreciation at the numerous science consoles dominating the room. She moved in behind him and slid into the cramped helm station directly in front of the captain's chair, bringing up a schematic on viewscreen.

He moved toward the screen, tracing the designs with his fingers and whistling. "You guys have some advanced stuff. There must have been some real Starfleet muscle behind this operation."

"The Nova class design is partially a result of collaborations between the Daystrom Institute and the Vulcan Science Academy," she replied without looking up. "Many Federation officials felt that Starfleet has been moving away from its pri mary function – space exploration – and new purely scientific vessels where needed to fulfill that purpose." She paused as her thoughts turned darker. "The Wanderlust, being a prototype, carried many newer technologies, still in the testing phase. I suspect this is why Starfleet kept its destruction quiet."

He spoke in hushed tones as he ran his hands over the primary science console. "Damn...this is every scientist's dream. You're lucky to have been on it…" He trailed off, realizing how thoughtless his statement was. "Oh...uh...you know...not actually," he finished lamely.

She raised an eyebrow at him. "I do not consider myself lucky; however, serving aboard the Wanderlust did provide me with many opportunities to advance my understanding and regard for scientific research."

Escher nodded and sat down, running his hands over the console, becoming immersed in its function and design.

"Did you have a chance to go over the information I provided you with? Do you understand the theories behind Quantum Slipstream?" T'Prise queried after a few awkward moments of silence.

He responded without looking up. "Basically. You funnel a quantum field through the deflector, and create a quantum warp bubble through subspace - which propels you at speeds colloquially described as 'stupid fast.' "

"Essentially you are correct, although we do not call it a quantum warp bubble. We are actually manipulating the space-time continuum at the quantum level, and understanding that theory requires a departure from the linear ideas we associate with time and space."

He looked up at her in surprise. "Do you have an understanding of it? I know in the Academy that I could get the advanced quantum stuff in practice but had problems with it when it came to theory...which is what you seem to specialize in."

"The theory does not change the basic tenants of time and space, only how we view them," she responded. "I could teach you the theories; however, I believe we have only learned a small fraction of the physics involved. Chris...Dr. Lamoreaux...used to say we had only waded into the ocean of understanding."

Her use of her fallen colleague's given name led Escher to wonder if T'Prise had been more deeply connected with him than she let on. "That's why being in science in the 24th century is so exciting. New things are discovered every day, and we begin to understand just how limited our knowledge is. At first, it may seem daunting, but once you realize that the answers lie out there, somewhere...it is an uplifting feeling. I can't begin to imagine the kind of hope your team had with the Wanderlust."

She was silent for a moment, taking in his comment, but unable to verbalize a reply in rational terms. "Creating a slipstream is not a simple as it sounds. Before a ship can travel through the slipstream, its hull must be rein forced to withstand the stresses found within quantum subspace. Additional specially calibrated inertial dampeners are needed to counter the effects of rapid acceleration/deceleration. The deflector itself must be constantly monitored in order to maintain a safe and stable passage through quantum subspace. We used antimatter to power all these additional systems."

He pondered the logistics for a moment. "What kind of computer system did you use to calculate the slipstream dynamics? I was under the impression that Starfleet didn't have that computing power yet."

"We used a modified LCARS. You will find the specifications on the disk I gave you. The computational and processing speeds where increased through the use of bio-neural gel packs." He could hear a little pride leaking through her voice. She was very proud of this ship.

"So...can I see her fly?" he asked, turning back to his console.

She nodded and turned her attention to the navigation controls. "Although this is a simulation, I will need you to monitor operations carefully. If the deflector calculations are off in the slightest measure, we will experience…problems."

He gave her a sidelong glance. "The Holodeck safety protocols are still on, right?"

"They have not been disabled, but we should perform this test as if we were operating the real Wanderlust," she replied, giving him an arch look.

"Of course," he sighed, tapping through the display, bringing the deflector readout up on his console. "Ready when you are."

She manipulated the helm controls, laying in coordinates and calibrating the deflector. "Our current position is near Jupiter Station. I will take us out of orbit to the moons of Saturn and open a portal to take us to Deep Space 17, three thousand light-years away. Engaging..."

Propelled by its maneuvering thrusters, the Wanderlust glided out of orbit. The deflector hummed to life, locking into position. A portal appeared directly in front of the ship, a profusion of light and energy. A small movement and the Wanderlust had entered, passing through bluish-white bends and twists, flying around the quantum event that kept them suspended in the portal. The real source of wonder, though, was the focal point dead ahead of the ship. Escher gasped. The point showed a little bit of light from every position of their three thousand light-year journey, creating a depth-defying, shimmering phenomenon. It was incredible to behold.

"How...how fast are we going?" He wondered aloud.

"We have been working on a scale, but since we are exceeding warp speeds, I do not know if I can convey it in terms that are quantifiable," she responded. "Part of the nonlinear progression of space and time suggests we are actually in more than one location at the current time.' "

"Right…" he replied, shaking his head. "Of course...well, what is our ETA?"

She tapped her console. "We should exit the tunnel in approximately 3 minutes. Do you see how the Wanderlust is suffering from hull stresses here and here?" she asked, indicating highlighted sections of the ship on the monitor.

He nodded. "What of it?"

Her face displayed what he could only describe as concern. "This has been a common problem. I hypothesize that over time, usage of the slipstream drive will eventually cause stress fractures within a hull, compromising its integrity. This problem will have to be addressed. Another concern is that the deflector damaged by repeated use. It has to be continually calibrated and resurfaced in order to function properly."

Escher looked amazed. "But these are all small, practical problems...the fundamental concept seems to be sound. This actually looks like it could be feasible. I never thought I'd see the day...." he trailed off amazed by the entire situation.

The Wanderlust gracefully dropped out of slipstream portal, emerging back into regular space.

She glanced at him while running her fingers over the helm, bringing the ship around. "I too believe the design is viable; however, the smallest miscalculation could be fatal when using the drive, and the underlying problems have yet to be resolved."

He pondered the empty space. "T'Prise, you're all about logic...is it logical to assume that the project lead would have initiated an unauthorized, highly dangerous second run right after the known success and structural stresses of the first test? What could possibly be his motive for that?"

She thought for a moment. "Are you acquainted with Dr. Kosinksi?"

"No, I'm afraid not," he replied, shaking his head.

Her face again displayed a look of concern. "When he became the head of the Peregrination Project, he seemed to be obsessed with proving that he could discover a new means of space travel that would change the face of Starfleet. I also have suspicions regarding the other work he was doing as part of the project, it was shrouded in secrecy."

"You really think he was capable of doing this?" he asked earnestly, turning towards her.

She hesitated before nodding slightly. "To be honest, I found him to be of only average intelligence, yet he was clever enough to put together a team capable of producing a viable engine design. However, he continually took credit for all the work accomplished by his team. The emotional motivations that compelled him are incomprehensible to me." She seemed frustrated. "In my experience, humans with their wide range of emotional states are capable of anything."

"I'm as emotional as they come, and people like that still confuse me." He responded, sighing. "I realize how hard this may be, having research that must constantly remind you of your horrible past...so I thank you, on behalf of Starfleet, for continuing this work. It means a lot to me."

"While your sentiments are appreciated, I do not believe that you need be concerned about my work on this project," she answered in a cool tone. "Logic dictates that the past is the past, and will remain so, having no effects on the present. Working on this project has become a legacy to my colleagues and nothing more."

He sighed again. "I guess sometimes there is an advantage to having control over your emotions. I don't know any humans that could do what you're doing. He paused. "I should probably get back to the bridge. At this rate, Syndrx will probably have destroyed the console."

She reached up and began to apply pressure to her temples. "You also have the senior staff meeting at 2300," she reminded him quietly.

"Right," he nodded. "Hopefully they'll fill us in a little more on the situation then. I can't help but shake that bad feeling about this mission...I guess I should do a Vulcan and suppress these emotions." He stood up and started moving toward the exit.

"If you wish, I can instruct you in the teachings of Surak. To alleviate some of the emotional stress you seem to be so concerned over," she offered quietly.

Escher began to rub his temples as well. "No, no...it's okay. I just need to push it to the back. I enjoy my emotions very much." He looked at her strangely. "You know, I've never asked a Vulcan this before, but have you ever tried letting your emotions go? Even for a moment?"

She looked up at him, unable to hide a surprised expression. "I believe that would be inadvisable. While we do not regularly speak of it to outsiders, there is a reason we turned away from our emotions and embraced logic," she bit out hesitantly.

He decided not to press the issue further. "You have your reasons. But there's something about pure, unbridled joy that' so...wonderful...I don't know." He shook his head. "It's been a long day."

She thought over his meaning for several moments before replying. "While human emotions do intrigue me, I have never contemplated experiencing them..." She trailed off as if she was speaking out of turn and then directed the conversation to a more neutral topic. "Do you require anything done in the lab? I thought I would perhaps join the shift that is about to begin."

Escher waved his hand. "Nothing in particular...feel free to focus on your work. Computer, show exit." The Holodeck exit door shimmered into being. "Good luck, T'Prise. I wish you the best in your research."

She stood still for several moments, after his departure, lost in thought. "Computer, end program." She directed, glancing over the scene one last time, before turning to leave. The bridge faded and the black and yellow grids reappeared as the door closed quietly behind her.