Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin Anderson

Tamarian Dictionary

Chenza at court. The court of silence. -- Uncertain; seems to indicate an unwillingness to listen.

Darmok on the ocean - loneliness, isolation

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra - cooperation / Communication (or friendship) as a result of shared struggle.

Felia and Rix in Falash? - What is your name? Who Are you? (As a statement also My name is)

Girab with hands in the air – Get well

Kadir beneath Mo Moteh - failure to communicate/understand

Kailash, when it rises.-- (possibly) A necessary risk; a necessary loss.

Kiazi's children, their faces wet.-- (possibly) Crying for no good reason; "crying wolf."

Karan and Jiri during the full moon. - I need to ask a few questions

Karan and Jiri hear the sounds. - I will answer your questions

Kira at Bashi. -- Storytelling.

Kiteo, his eyes closed - refusal to understand / A refusal to see someone or something; "break off communications."

Marat in the fields of Nogra – How are you?

Mizah on dark fields of Malak - where am I?

Mirab, with sails unfurled - signifying departure/engines to full/fleeing

Nahki with his family - I want to see my crew

Picard and Dathon at El Adrel - to work toward a common goal

Rai [of Lowani] and Jiri [of Ubaya] at Lungha.-- Communication. First Contact.

Rai and Jiri at Lungha. Rai of Luwani, Luwani under two moons. Giri, or Ubaya. Ubaya of crossroads, at Lungha. Lungha, her sky gray - greeting between two different cultures/races

Ria in Kinta? - What kind of vessel is this?

Sea of stones/ Sea of Rocks – Asteroid field

Shaka, when the walls fell - failure

Sokath, his eyes uncovered/opened - understanding/realization / an epiphany.

Temba, his arms wide.-- Giving; receiving.

The river Temarc in winter - be quiet/silence

Uzani, his army at Lashmir.--A military strategy in which an army lures the enemy in, and then attacks. Perhaps roughly equivalent to 'don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.'

Uzani, his army with fists open - to lure the enemy away

Uzani, with fists closed - to attack

Zima and Bakor, at Anso. -- Unknown

Zinda, his face black, his eyes red - anger or conflict, also can indicate pain or discomfort

Thanks Muon.

As a little explanation, there are some metaphors we haven't used that are listed on Memory Alpha. Then there are some that are not on Memory Alpha that we've made up to be able to say things that just had to be said. If someone else wants to talk to the Tamarian and has to make up new things feel free to add them to the dictionary (those of you who do, please note that everything's in alaphabetical order and Tamarian - English). For making up new metaphors or better apologues just imagine we'd express everything through things that happened in the bible or in legends. Law/Rules for example might be Moses and God at Mount Sinai.

I will keep this updated if necessary.