Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cptn Swain

Unfortunately,

The airlock to Deep Space 9 opened with a hiss. and woosh of air. Asher sighed heavily as he stepped onto the former Cardassian station. This was only the second time in two years he’d been in the Alpha Quadrant. Both trips had been intolerably short. It wasn’t, of course, that he particularly wanted to visit the station, or even Bajor for that matter. He just wanted to be out of the Gamma Quadrant and it’s tangled web of intrigues, lies, and conflict.

Pushing ahead, he skipped the promenade and headed for the conference room where Vice-Admiral Jonelle Hayden had set up a war room to manage the evacuations, influx of refugees, and coordinate Starfleet’s defensive posture on this side of the wormhole. The room was, in a word, chaotic. Displays and makeshift workstations filled the room, while PADDs were strewn about the central table. In the far-corner, the tall, blond human Admiral dismissed a lieutenant as she made eye-contact with Asher.

“Asher,” she said, warmly. “Have a seat..”

Jonelle nodded, her smile fading away. Her high, sharp cheekbones hid her age better than most. She motioned Asher to join her at a small table she’d occupied for her personal workstation, just off from the larger conference table chaos. “Something to drink?” she offered. “Perhaps some tea?”

“Mm,” Asher said, taking a seat. “I had breakfast with Captain Santos of the Courageous..”

“Ah, very well,” she said, helping herself to the replicator. “How is Xavier? I haven’t had a chance to check in with him?”

“He’s well. Little on edge about all of this, but who isn’t?”

“Yeah,” Jonnelle said, returning to her ‘desk.’ “Though you seem to have been handling it well. I wanted to commend you again for your hard work on this assignment.”

“The credit of course goes to my crew.”

The admiral nodded. “I see you still haven’t learned when to take credit.”

Asher blushed and started to protest, but Jonelle waved a hand. “Anyway -- how long has it been, what ten, fifteen years since the Pei Xiu?”

“Almost twenty.”

“Twenty?” she said with a half frown, suddenly reminded of her age. “Gods I am old.”

“You look great. The Admiral’s uniform suits you.”

“Never let them promote you,” she said waving a hand. “They say it’s not bad. They say you’ll get to spend more time near your family but trust me -- it’s all a pack of lies.”

Smirking, Asher leaned back in the uncomfortable chair. “I’ve been protesting promotions since I was on your ship and yet --”

“No one ever listens?”

“Mmhmmm”

For a long moment they let the chaos of the room envelop them before Jonelle spoke again. They’d spoken briefly when Excalibur had first arrived, but this was the first real opportunity they’d had to actually talk. “So, how’s the Excalibur. I heard you were less than thrilled with giving up the Cassini.”

“The ship’s fine. She’s a magnificent piece of machinery and the crew -- well the crew is more than I deserve. Especially Miranda, my XO. The new -- old -- Chief Engineer is a bit... strange but a good engineer with a brilliant mind. He’s one of the few leftovers from Corizon’s crew.”

Knowingly, Jonelle nodded. He didn’t need to elaborate further. “Well I wish I had better news for you. I know you told Archie that you’d prefer for Excalibur to be rotated out of the GQ.”

And now they were down to business. Asher nodded. “But,” he anticipated. “The situation on the ground means you can’t do that, I assume?”

She nodded sympathetically. “I understand your reservations, particularly since the Starfleet presence in the quadrant is going to be drastically reduced in scope, but...” she paused. “After speaking with command and Admiral Abronvonvich -- they cannot spare you right now. I wish they could.”

Asher lifted a brow. “Misha wanted me back?”

Jonnelle caught his surprise. “Why wouldn’t he? You’re a fine officer and Captain. He bristled at the notion he could spare you or your ship.”

Having the good sense not to bring his personal differences with the Admiral up, Asher smiled and shook it off. “I see. Well, if that decision has been made. We’ll live with it. When do we head back?”

“As soon as you can. The conflict is continuing to widen in scope. Fighting between the Hundred and the Jem’Hadar loyal to Keevan is intensifying. Weyoun is apparently trying to broker a peace through us, but the Admiral is skeptical.”

He appreciated her candor, as that briefing was likely above his clearance. “Thanks. I’ll have Miranda do a cattle call as soon we’re done. Any particular orders for us?”

She shook her head. “Only to be careful and stay in touch. Keep your head on a swivel Asher.”

“I’ll do my best, ma’am.”

“See that you do.”