Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cdr Miranda Hawthorne

USS Excalibur Sim Log - 02.19.17

MISSION BRIEF: Excalibur continues to run tests of an experimental new drive, however questions about its stability and of the project lead and current Excalibur Commanding officer abound.

Cptn Swain -> BEGIN SIM

Cptn Swain -> BEGIN SIM

Cptn Swain -> BEGIN SIM

William Chocox -> ::is working on the deflector::

Hakran K'hal -> :: hops into a TL to return to the bridge after doing his portion of the dirty deeds done to the deflector ::

Cptn Swain -> Cardboard Miranda> ::exits the Ready Room, glances at Tandaris for a moment, before heading off the bridge.::

Hunter Matheson -> ::at helm, doing his job, which is to sit still and no air drumming:::

Tandaris Admiran -> She seems considerably deflated.

Hunter Matheson -> ::headturn at her appear/disappear skills::

Maryse Dubois -> ::On the bridge, watching as Tandaris is about to enter the inferno.:: Have fun.

Hakran K'hal -> :: enters the bridge with the swish of the door, takes stock of the expressions as he steps away from the lift ::

William Chocox -> ::finishes up and starts to head back to Engineering::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::rings the chime on the ready room::

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> Enter.

Hunter Matheson -> ::notes K'hal's entry, he looks to Tork, they shrug and continue to plot for different scenarios::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::enters the ready room:: Captain.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::In the Command chair, looking at the data from the 'power drain'::

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> +Chocox+ Bridge to Chocox.

William Chocox -> +Ithene+ Chocox here.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> +Chocox+ Report to the bridge.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> Commander Admiran.

William Chocox -> +Ithene+ Aye ma'am.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> ::Her voice had an edge to it.::

William Chocox -> ::gets onto the TL::

Hakran K'hal -> :: steps over to Maryse :: We're going to need a revolving door on the ready room at this rate.

Tandaris Admiran -> Captain, my team and I have been looking over the latest test data. There are some concerning trends I'd like to bring to your attention.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> ::Stops pacing:: Continue.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Smirks.:: That's assuming we have any engineers left soon.

William Chocox -> ::steps onto the bridge:: We haven't been dying have we?

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::Glances over:: Not yet.

Hakran K'hal -> That's assuming we have anyone left soon. Considering the potential for quantum dissolution with this drive system, I'd recommend doing some bio-scans on the next text, Doctor.

Tandaris Admiran -> The method you've employed for dampening the phase variance is causing a feedback loop that creates microfractures in the drive core.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> But I would suggest being a little more subtle the next time you attempt to disrupt the tests. ::Pointedly::

Tandaris Admiran -> Given the right conditions, these fractures could become serious enough that during a slipstream flight, the drive core would overload and disrupt the structure of the ship on a quantum level.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> ::Frowns:: Let me see your data. Those components were tested multiple times.

Hunter Matheson -> ::they stop talking and listen:::

Hunter Matheson -> ::swivel toward the convo::

William Chocox -> If I were to be that insubordinate I'll keep that in mind.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Looks at the older K'hal, studying his expression. She thinks for a moment.:: Can the internal sensors be tuned for that task?

Tandaris Admiran -> ::brings up the data that K'hal identified as salient to the matter at hand::

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> Make sure that you do. ::Feigns disapproval:: Now, why don't you make yourself useful, while you're here and take a look at the helm console to make sure there weren't any malfunctions.

Tandaris Admiran -> It's not the components themselves. It's the interaction among them. And they weren't ever tested at this scale, or with such … vigorous … course corrections with the slipstream.

Hakran K'hal -> :: ponders ::

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> ::Narrows her eyes::

Hunter Matheson -> ::vacates the chair so he has access::

William Chocox -> Aye ma'am. ::crouches down and looks over it::

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> Strange that there would be unexpected malfunctions and unusual damage to components... if someone were more paranoid... someone might wonder if they were intentional. ::Neutrally, as she inspected the data.::

Hakran K'hal -> I suppose it would be possible to use the existing modifications to look for that kind of small scale damage in biological matter as well. Though to get any useful notifications I'd have to funnel that data to the sickbay systems.

Tandaris Admiran -> Is it?

Hakran K'hal -> I'd have to rely on your oversight on that, bio isn't my specialty.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> There is little reason for the power failure in helm to have happened. ::She sat the padd down:: but as I said, only a paranoid person would think that it was... intentional.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> So, Commander, what is your recommendation?

Tandaris Admiran -> I don't think problems during the test of a highly experimental drive technology are at all strange or unusual, Captain.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::is really out of his depth here, not used to being the rational one in the conversation::

Hunter Matheson -> :confused... biomatter and helm malfunctions...::

Maryse Dubois -> ::Nods.:: The sickbay computers should be able to handle it. Will we need to do much modification on that end?

Hunter Matheson -> ::biomatter and.... looks to Tork:::

Tandaris Admiran -> I recommend we stop testing, at least for now. Let my team remove the drive core from the assembly and analyze it on the molecular level for these microfractures. Let's make sure it's safe before we risk another flight.

William Chocox -> You ok Matheson?

Hakran K'hal -> No, though you will notice significant slowdowns in processing other items, so if you have anything needing priority you'll have to flag it.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> How long would that take?

Maryse Dubois -> ::Shakes her head.:: With the smaller crew and staff much of the systems aren't being used at the moment.

Hunter Matheson -> ::blinkblink:: Oh, yes, Sir. Just.. biomatter and the malfunctions

William Chocox -> It'll be fine.

Hunter Matheson -> I'm no engineer, and I'm sure not a doc... but.... ?

Hunter Matheson -> ::doubtful look::

Tandaris Admiran -> Disassembly would be about three hours, and then the molecular scans would be … maybe another two hours. Of course, if we find any I'm not sure how we would proceed from there. And then we'd have to reassemble and perform diagnostics. Finally we'd have to recalibrate and resync the dillithium loopback. So even if we don't find a problem, at least sixteen hours.

Hakran K'hal -> Hopefully we can keep it that way. I'll get that set up, then. :: half-bows, slides over to the science console ::

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> You have ten. Pull anyone you need.

Cptn Swain -> Illyan> ::Almost smiles:: I am an engineer, Commander.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::raises an eyebrow but bites his tongue about a few choice retorts for that one:: Aye, sir.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::turns to leave::

Hakran K'hal -> :: pulls up the internal sensor setup and begins adjustments ::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::exits onto the bridge::

Hunter Matheson -> ::retakes helm::

Maryse Dubois -> ::Looks up seeing that Tandy still has all of his spots.:: How did it go?

Hunter Matheson -> ::he and Tork continue working on whatever they were working on before::

Tandaris Admiran -> Very odd.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Curious.:: Oh?

William Chocox -> ::stands up:: What's odd?

Tandaris Admiran -> Captain Illyan seemed quite convinced there couldn't possibly be any problems with her toy.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::Turns in the chair::

Tandaris Admiran -> Nevertheless, she agreed to let us disassemble and inspect the drive system.

William Chocox -> : :blink:: Oh good.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> That's... good.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> How long will that take you?

Maryse Dubois -> Well that sounds like a bit of a win.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::Chocox:: We have work to do.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::Ithene:: She wants it done in ten hours.

Hakran K'hal -> :: flicks an ear ::

Cptn Swain -> CB Hawthorne> ::emerges from the TL:: How did it go?

William Chocox -> Something like that would take at least 12.

Hunter Matheson -> ::stops to listen again::

Maryse Dubois -> Is that even feasible?

Tandaris Admiran -> I said 16, mostly because I don't relish the idea of us breaking the thing we weren't even allowed to help install.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::Miranda:: Would you like to help us take apart a quantum slipstream drive? I need all the hands I can get.

Cptn Swain -> CB M> ::Nods::

Hunter Matheson -> ::Admiran:: Tork and I... well, we're out of a job for now.

Hunter Matheson -> So, anything we can do short of breaking something?

Cptn Swain -> CB M> You can join us then too.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::Nods:: K'Hal... I have a job for you. ::Glances to Miranda with a knowing look::

Tandaris Admiran -> ONce we remove the drive core, the superstructure will need to be degaussed.

Hakran K'hal -> :: turns, aims a mildly interested look at Ithene :: Yes, Commander?

Tandaris Admiran -> I'd prefer to do this in spacedock, obviously, but I'm surprised Captain Illyan even agreed to this much.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::Moves over to K'Hal's station:: I told you earlier it looked like we were making evasives, yes?

Hakran K'hal -> :: nods ::

Cptn Swain -> CB M> ::Nods:: We should get working. Doctor, you might also want to run bioscans on all the crew. I want to make sure this... thing... isn't putting out any kind of harmful fields she didn't anticipate in her holosimulations.

William Chocox -> We should probably get going. We're just wasting time right now right?

Tandaris Admiran -> Agreed

Maryse Dubois -> ::Smiles.:: I'm currently working on it with the help of Mr. K'hal.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> Well... let's assume we're being tracked. How could we make ourselves a little more... appealing.

Cptn Swain -> CB M> ::Nods::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::Miranda:: I'd like you to head up the team actually performing the disassembly, Commander. ::Chocox:: Assist Commander Hawthorne, and then when the core is out, you'll be in charge of the molecular scan.

William Chocox -> Aye sir.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::turns towards where Ithene and K'hal are conspiring:: Nine hours, 50 minutes. Good luck.

Cptn Swain -> CB M> Hunter, you can assist the Doctor in running her scans.

Hunter Matheson -> Yes, ma'am.

Cptn Swain -> CBM> Let's go.

William Chocox -> ::steps back into the TL::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::joins them in the tL::

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> But we'd need to do it a way that wasn't... obvious.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> Where are we now... anyway.

Hakran K'hal -> I'd use quantum entanglement. Theoretically at any rate, we know that entangled particles are randomly created and dropped through the slipstream during our passage. All we need to do is add more of these quantum bread crumbs.

Hunter Matheson -> ::slowly catching on, but what he's catching onto he's not quite sure::

Maryse Dubois -> ::Turns to Hunter, grinning.:: Well then, Nurse Matheson. I suppose I can start with some small scale scan before Mr. K'hal is ready with the internal sensors. Shall we head to sickbay?

Hunter Matheson -> ::cough::

Hakran K'hal -> That's what I'd be looking for, anyway, if I was pursuing.

Tandaris Admiran -> ::once they arrive in engineering, he begins handing out team assignments::

Hunter Matheson -> Sure doc.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Enters the TL.::

Hunter Matheson -> ::joins her::

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::nods:: We should do that. We might also be able to tweak our shield frequencies just enough to make us... you know... stand out a bit more.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::Smiles:: I mean it's not like we're on a stealth mission.

Hunter Matheson -> ::as soon as the doors close, he whispers:: Something's up, right doc?

William Chocox -> ::gets to work with Commander Hawthorne::

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> ::lowers her voice:: I'd say we could just call home, but I think Leah would notice::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::goes to stand in front of the drive core, which was itself erected around the warp core, holding his hyperspanner like a crowbar:: Let's get to work.

Maryse Dubois -> Perhaps. ::Takes the TL down to sickbay.:: Have you had any headaches lately? IK know you had a little sick spell during the 1st run.

Hunter Matheson -> Uh... no, ma'am. Not lately.

Maryse Dubois -> Good. :;Exits the lift at the right level.::

Hakran K'hal -> :: nods :: In any test phase you would want to try different possible variables to make sure they don't affect normal operation. The shields would be one of these. :: quirks a smile at Ithene's quiet comment ::

Hunter Matheson -> The first run was... well, there was definitely something wrong with the drive, and the shifting ::slips out as well:: made quite a few sick as I remember.

Cptn Swain -> Ithene> We might also want to run some... theoretical scans... of our previous trials to determine if there were any residual effects on subspace.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Comes to the doors.:: True, but I'm a little surprised it happened to our helmsman. ::Smirks.::

Hunter Matheson -> ::smirk?::

Hunter Matheson -> ::now all they need is the wink-wink, nudge-nudge:::

Tandaris Admiran -> ::as Miranda and Will get to work taking apart the drive core along with a multitude of minions, he takes a smaller team to start running analyses on the Excalibur hull for evidence of fluctuations in quantum coherence::

Maryse Dubois -> ::Grabs a tricorder from a tray.:: I'm going to scan you then check the results with a previous scan in your records.

Hunter Matheson -> Okay...

Hakran K'hal -> They're already running down in the lab. :: smile widens a bit :: I have anticipated some of this... not to mention I actually do want to know these things.

Maryse Dubois -> ::Starts scanning Hunter.::

Hakran K'hal -> :: tappity taps on the console to bring up his now considerable to-do list ::

Cptn Swain -> ::she smiled, broadly before heading back to the Command chair:: Keep up the good work. You're a credit to your family.

Hunter Matheson -> ::hoping she doesn't find any alien eggs inside:::

Cptn Swain -> (( That can be arranged. ))

Hakran K'hal -> :: nods gratefully ::

Hunter Matheson -> (I figured)

Maryse Dubois -> ::Finishes with the scans, placing up on a large wall monitor. With a few taps, she brings up a seconds older scan set for a side by side comparison.::

Hakran K'hal -> :: turns back to the screen, and pawns off the work on the internal sensors to the few bioscientists on board during the test, they might as well stop staring at their Petri dishes ::

Maryse Dubois -> ((haha))

Maryse Dubois -> ::Begins studying the images.::

Cptn Swain -> TWO MINUTE WARNING

Hunter Matheson -> So... am I alive?

William Chocox -> This is going to be a mess.

Maryse Dubois -> For the moment. ::Seems expressionless as her eyes don't leave the screen.::

Cptn Swain -> AND

Hunter Matheson -> ::rocking back and forth on his heels, playing along and thinking that maybe the rest of the crew is nutso, and he's the only one rational;::

Hunter Matheson -> ::but that doesn't make any sense... more like they're playing in a sandbox::

Hunter Matheson -> ::kids in a candy store?:::

Hunter Matheson -> ;:wait for it... wait for it;::

Cptn Swain -> PAUSE SIM

Cptn Swain -> PAUSE SIM

Cptn Swain -> PAUSE SIM