Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Manning

Qob: Tranquility Discussion Thread

69 posts in this topic

This is a general discussion thread that can be used by the crew to discuss the Qob: Tranquility game. Anyone is welcome to post here, however. If you have any questions about the game, post them here, and the crew will be happy to answer.

Looks like you have the makings of a very interesting sim, Joe. After reading the FAQs I get the idea that it's a Serenity meets Trek scenario, elaborating on groups that the Trek series encountered but never fully explored. This would give players a chance to explore a mercenary group that would normally (in Trek series and movies) be in the background. Perhaps a better way to say it would be that the characterizations are flipped, with Federation military taking a back seat to this mercenary crew. Am I correct?

Absolutely, Chirakis. The Federation is definitely not at the forefront in this game, though it's not out of the question that we'll run into a Starfleet patrol at some point. This game will be more about a starship crew trying to get by without the rather substantial security blanket that is Starfleet and the Federation. Many of the more convenient Starfleet technologies are unavailable. There are no other ships to turn to for help (unless alliances with other Captains have been somehow secured during the course of missions). There's a lot more lawlessness in Bull's Head than you'd typically encounter in Federation space, so the crew has to take the law into their own hands.

The flip side is that the crew has more freedom. We decide what jobs to take, even if they fall under the category of the aforementioned lawlessness. <_<

I love Star Trek. I will always be a fan first and foremost no matter what other properties might catch my fancy for a period of time. Granted, I do get a little "bored" since Trek always seems to concentrate on the officers and Starfleet crews, and any time we do happen to spot an independent starship captain or mercenary group, it's some sort of token plot device.

Firefly/Serenity got it right, in so many ways ::is biased::. It's nice to have a show concentrate on a common group of mercenaries and people just trying to get by. The show -- not so much the movie; it had some shiny, and that isn't a complaint -- offered a raw and gritty look at space faring life that you don't get to see with the clean command bridges that we are so accustomed to with Trek.

Combining the two sci fi concepts is at least one way to have an RPG Sim Shangri-La experience. Good luck to Joe and the Qob.

Can't Stop the Signal...

Agreed, Kansas. Sometimes Trek is a bit too 'clean,' since it mostly conforms to Roddenberry's ideal of a 'perfect' society in the future. The storytelling can work perfectly well in that regard, but there's a lot that's left unexplored. We're going to be looking at an alternative view of the future -- what if the society isn't so 'perfect.' It's the sort of thing DS9 was going into during its best times (to borrow from another discussion on the boards), so in addition to incorporating Firefly-esque themes we'll be continuing the trend set out in DS9.

A lot of people do prefer Roddenberry's view of things. But that's what's great about STSF -- options for everyone. <_<

When are we able to apply for positions?

You can apply for a position as soon as you'd like. We still haven't set a launch date, but we are accepting applications.

Love your new time slot, Joe! Think it's a great move. Heck, I may come incognito one of these days.

The new website for the Qob relaunch is wicked sweet. I love that content and style combination of the Old West/Firefly meets Sci Fi Trek.

Love your new time slot, Joe! Think it's a great move. Heck, I may come incognito one of these days.

I have to confess that we're only making the change because I soon won't be able to make the Tuesday timeslot reliably. But Sunday night should be more convenient for many people. You're always welcome, Jami. <_<

The new website for the Qob relaunch is wicked sweet. I love that content and style combination of the Old West/Firefly meets Sci Fi Trek.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Sam did a great job of capturing that mix, and of designing the website in general.

Since the inhabitants of the Bulls Head don't have access to replicator technology -- something Federation sector residents take for granted -- does that include shuttle or Runabout vehicles as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is, will the Qob-ites employ a four wheel drive ATV (aka "The Mule" from Firefly) or ground based car for planetary movement, or does the crew have access to shuttles or hover vehicles?

And, I really like that the new timeline is being employed, but the time setting (2400's - on) for the Sim is far enough removed from the action of the new movies that Qob can do it's own thing.

I guess what I'm getting at is, will the Qob-ites employ a four wheel drive ATV (aka "The Mule" from Firefly) or ground based car for planetary movement, or does the crew have access to shuttles or hover vehicles?

I wonder if you've been looking in on some of our Corsairs of Qo'noS games. :P

While we had the GCX gravtank in our Corsairs plot, Tranquility will not feature any support vehicles, at least not at first. The only place to put one on a scout-class Bird of Prey would be the cargo hold, but we'll need that space for supplies at first (things can always change later). A lot of the need for a shuttle or runabout is offset by the ship's ability to land, but once we're on a planet we'll be on foot. That is, unless we secure use of a support vehicle locally. Since the company that manufactured the GCX is now set up in Bull's Head, their gravtanks have circulated throughout some of the colonies. I'm sure there are a few rental places set up ...

Many of the shuttles and runabouts we might encounter will be the lone personal yachts of mercenary Captains -- some folks just can't afford a big ship. :) There's always the possibility, down the road, that one of those shuttles be captured by the crew; while we wouldn't be able to store any on the ship, we could start putting our own small fleet together.

Note that our website is back up and running, with all pages in their proper places (and we'll be keeping a closer eye on them from now on). My apologies to anyone who was trying to view the site but getting 'Not Found' messages.

If you do encounter any problems trying to view the site, please send me a board PM or an e-mail at [email protected]

For those who are wondering about the relaunch, we're still waiting for the first applications to be processed. Don't worry if you haven't heard word back from personnel yet. As soon as we get something, we'll announce a launch date here, so you'll know if your application was lost through the cracks.

*Sigh*

It does look facinating ... a pity that participating would be a poor idea on my part.

I have already determined that joining a sim that starts at 9:00 EST is a bad idea due to family obligations which keep me from participating properly for the first half of the hour. It's not fair to the other sim players for me not to be properly available. I already struggle with this on the Comanche Creek; I have no desire to repeat my poor performance elsewhere.

Besides; I have little doubt that the Engineering positions are already filled.

Do you have any pictures of the Qobs interior layout? I haven't been able to find any layouts that match what you described on the website.

No, the description on the website was not based on any existing schematic or set of pictures. I just pieced it together based on my memories of the TOS films and common sense. The only picture of Qob you can see right now is what you form in your mind from the description.

Okay..gotta question on the crew makeup.

If the sim is a mercenary on-the-edge group, why are there traditional posts on the roster?

You still need people of various skillsets to operate a starship. And you still need a clear chain of command to keep the crew operating smoothly and efficiently. While the departmental and chief/assistant breakdown can traditionally be associated with Starfleet, Starfleet did choose those modes of organization for good reasons.

It's entirely possible that not every ship in Bull's Head follows the same structure. But Qob's Captain is an ex Fleet Commander, so this structure is also the most comfortable for him.

My application is in Joe... Can't wait to join you aboard... :)

I am going to need everyone who is interested in becoming a part of the Qob: Tranquility game to send an e-mail to [email protected] and [email protected]. Please send this e-mail even if you have previously discussed the game with me or STSF personnel.

We're moving closer to getting new recruits assigned and a launch date is going to be announced soon.

I know YOU know that I'm interested... Shall I send an application to MunchkinPup too?

Just send an e-mail to both of those addresses. The content of the e-mail doesn't matter; this isn't an application yet, but we'll provide you with the means to submit one.

Think of it as cloak and dagger subterfuge. The STSF personnel department is trying to defend itself from the evil alien invaders from Spam IV.

:)