Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Randall

Recovery & Heartbreak

OFFICIAL LOG

LIEUTENANT JOHN RANDALL

USS CHALLENGER

(Personal Log Stardate 11609.08)

John and T'Mira continued to recover from their wounds at the medical facility on Starbase 179. The chief engineer of the Challenger was the more seriously injured of the two; he had taken two disruptor bolts as they escaped from Romulus. One he had sustained on his left side just above his hip, the other came as he and Aiel ra'Hajruillu, the Romulan female subcommander who had abducted him, had a shootout at the Romulan spaceport.

Aiel's disruptor bolt hit John in his left shoulder, but the Starfleet officer had been dead-on with his phaser bolt; then he got some unlikely assistance from T'Mira, who had also been shot by the Romulan subcommander, and was presumed dead. T'Mira added her phaser shot to Randall's, and the combined bolts consumed ra'Hajruillu's body.

T'Mira had gotten both of them aboard a Romulan spacepod, and had made it back to Federation space, eventually arriving at Starbase 179. Emergency surgery had been administered to both of them, and now both Starfleet officers were in the process of recovery and rehabilitation.

John was being walked every day by the nurses at the medical facility. He also underwent two rounds of physical therapy a day. The medical staff was keeping a close eye on him as Admiral Jason Baldwin, the head of Starfleet Intelligence, had temporarily taken over an office on Starbase 179, and was keeping tabs on both Randall and T'Mira's recovery and rehab.

Baldwin was an everyday visitor to the two officers, and told John repeatedly the Challenger should be arriving soon. Randall would just nod and go along with the admiral, but he had a feeling that the mission the Challenger was currently on had hit a snag, and there was actually no telling when the ship would arrive at the starbase.

On the sixth day that they were there, John was startled to see T'Mira limp into his room that evening (starbase time). She smiled at him and came over to hug him gently, being careful of his left shoulder, then kissed him.

She turned, dragged a nearby chair over to the side of the bed, and sat down. "Hi, John," she said breezily, and Randall grinned at her. "Hi, T'Mira," he replied. "How are you?"

She made a throwaway gesture with her left arm. "I'm coming along very nicely, thank you, Lieutenant," she said. John's eyes narrowed. "Then why are you limping?" he shot back. "Oh, it's not as bad as it was last week," she hastened to reassure him. "I'm getting therapy on it every day, and I also use the healing trance every day as well. I'll be good as new before you know it."

John nodded, even though he still wasn't convinced she was telling him the truth. "The nurses tell me I'm ahead of schedule on my healing process," he said. T'Mira cocked her head at him. "You don't sound too sure of that, John," she replied, and Randall shrugged. "I do feel better than last week," he said, "so I guess they know what they're talking about."

"Well, I'm glad to hear it," T'Mira said, smiling at him. "I would like to have a bite with you in the cafeteria before too much longer, and your ship arrives. After that, I'll probably never see you again," and the last line was delivered with a definite wistful tone to it.

John raised his eyebrows. "Is that emotion I hear in your voice, Lieutenant?" he asked, and she made a face at him. "Don't make fun of me, John," she said. "You know I'm not a full-blooded Vulcan. I have emotions, and I keep them hidden from most people. But I don't mind telling you, Lieutenant John Randall: I have feelings for you, and I think you know it. So don't make fun of me."

John stared at her a moment, then reached out and took one of her hands in his left hand. "I'm sorry," he said gently. "I'm actually a little surprised by your statement that you have feelings for me. You are a very beautiful lady, and I think you could have your pick of whoever you wanted for yourself."

T'Mira rose from the chair and sat on the edge of the bed, pushing her face very close to his. "I have made my choice," she said softly, and leaned forward, kissing him softly but firmly on the lips.

John smiled at her when the kiss ended. "Then I'm a very lucky man," he said, and T'Mira beamed at him. "I would like to have a bite with you as well as soon as I'm able. I'm walking a little farther each day, and I can feel my strength returning. I think it won't be too much longer before I can get around on my own again."

T'Mira smiled. "I look forward to that very much, John," she whispered. "I think I better go now, the nurses will start their rounds shortly, and I'll get yelled at if they find me out of my bed." She kissed him again for a few seconds, then arose. "Get well quickly, Lieutenant," she said huskily, and John nodded. "Aye, sir," he replied, and they both laughed. She looked at him warmly for a few seconds, then turned and limped out of the room.

John watched her go, then reclined back against his bed. He searched his feelings, trying to confirm if he actually did have feelings for the Vulcan-Romulan female. He was a little surprised at himself when the answer came back a definite yes. He laid back against the pillow, staring at the ceiling, trying to sort his thoughts and his feelings.

**************************************************************************************************************************

The next seven days went by with both Starfleet officers continuing to heal their bodies. T'Mira became a frequent visitor to John's room, and the relationship deepened between the two. Then one morning T'Mira came into his room, and John could tell instantly something was wrong.

T'Mira's eyes were red and puffy, and John would swear she had been crying. She sat down in the chair beside his bed, and took his hands in hers. She bowed her head for a few seconds, then looked up and met his eyes squarely.

"John, this is the last time we'll be together," she said, and her lower lip was quivering. Randall stared at her, not believing his ears. "Admiral Baldwin has informed me the USS Saratoga is on its way to pick me up. They are taking me to Earth to deliver my report to Starfleet Command in person. The Saratoga will be arriving in just over 4 hours."

John stared at her, then nodded resignedly. "Of course, you have to do your job," he said. "I appreciate all the help you gave me, T'Mira, and I vow I'll never forget it. Because of you, I'm back in Federation space, and I owe you my life. Thank you."

She pulled her hands from his, and buried her face in them for a few seconds. When she looked back up, her eyes were wet with tears. "I don't want to leave you," she whispered. "I wish you could come with me."

John smiled gently. "I wish I could, too," he replied. "But I am the chief engineer of the Challenger, and they'll be here any day to get me, or so I was told by Admiral Baldwin. He's going to contact them when they come within communication range, and tell them that I'm here. I guess this is a case where we have different jobs in different settings, and our worlds are there."

She nodded, then arose from the chair and hugged him tightly. The embrace lasted a few moments, then T'Mira kissed him as she pulled away. "I will never forget you, John Randall," she said. "Know that from this day forward, you are not alone. You have someone who loves you, and I hope with all my heart that one day we can be together again. Until then, I will keep you in my heart. I love you, John Randall." With that, she whirled and ran from the room.

John stared after her as the door slid shut. He lay back on the bed, his mind trying to assimilate the events of the last few moments. He then sighed heavily. 'So I lose another female companion,' he thought to himself. 'It seems I'm destined to be alone. So be it.'

He lay looking at the ceiling until the nurses arrived to administer the evening therapy, and he threw himself into the routine, trying desperately to keep the thoughts of T'Mira out of his mind. It would take time, but he knew he would recover, and life would go on. He was really looking forward to getting back onboard the Challenger, and resuming his duties as chief engineer of the best ship in Starfleet.

END LOG