Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Atragon9

Chat Room Issues

Folks, we are painfully aware of the Java issues that are plaguing our chat rooms. At this point, the only way we know of loading the rooms is through Internet Explorer (not Edge) and Firefox - most of the time. Some people are at a point where their Firefox/Java combo aren't working either.

Webbie is just about ready to roll out new chat rooms that use HTML5 and no Java. Please try and hold on (and suffer through IE) and we should have a better option for you all soon.

Thank you.

-A9

This is a heads-up for players for the next few days. But have no fear, A9's here, getting to the heart of the matter.

Unless it's already fixed, we have one chat room to share: the Lobby. Basic chat, no frills, but it does work.

You will see a different sign in box with "AddOn Chat" in a box next to it. Do *not* click that box, just log in as usual. If there is a game in progress, be patient. They will pause in a timely manner. Challenger and Aegis had no problem.

You can IM. The only chat color is black. There are no chat sounds except a chime when people exit. If your character is silent for several minutes, it might boot you, but you can log back in. So it is basic, but workable until our new chat rooms go live, so hang in there.

UPDATED!!

HTML5 Chat Rooms are here, they can be run from any browser!

They are still being tweaked a bit but they are up and running (thankyouthankyou, Rob!)

• Go to www.stsf.net/community and log in with your account
  • From the Browse menu on the left, double-click on "Chat Rooms"
  • Under the "Messenger" heading on the left, you can click on "Chat Rooms" and select your room to enter
  • That's it, you're in!

FAQ-ish stuff

• Your text is in a colored balloon and right-justified, everyone else's text is left justified and starts with their own name.
  • No text colors available at this point
  • I'm not clear on how I get chat logs, so until I figure that out, no daily logs coming to the GMs
  • No pop-out or floating room or private message windows, they are all on tabs across the bottom of the screen.
  • Click on another player's name to get a drop-down menu that would allow a private message

Next Steps

Webbie is still working on the linking and menus, etc., but I would recommend the sims switch to the new rooms as soon as possible. Look out for an email from your GMs about when your sim will switch to the new rooms. Please be patient with the new system, as we are still getting it all worked out.

Below is a picture showing Admiral Atragon-9 in a chat with Atragon9. You can see the user list on the right and the room list on the left - both lists can be hidden. Note how Admiral Atragon-9's text is on the right side with no tag in front of it (because it is "me"), but the text by Atragon9 is at the left and starts with an identifier.

Capture.JPG

Latest update to the new rooms:

Update on how to enter a chat room. When you go to www.stsf.net/community you will get right into the chat rooms, if you are logged in to your accounts. If not logged in, you will see the option to log in and then you will see the chat rooms. There is no longer a need to go to the Browse menu. This means the steps are now:

• Go to www.stsf.net/community and log in with your account
  • Under the "Messenger heading on the left, you can click on the "Chat Rooms" heading and select your room to enter
  • That's it, you're in!

The plan is to try these new rooms for 1-2 weeks and get your feedback before we go live. At the time of "Go Live," the entire site will be down for an evening. After that, the chat rooms will be integrated with all the rest and the Boards will also be updated to the latest version.

*** PLEASE NOTE *** Since the Chat Rooms are not yet integrated with the Boards, if you need to update your password, you will need to do it in both places (or send me a note and I can update password for the room)

How to make the chat room adjustable in size or "float"

If you are having an issue with the chat room being too tall (i.e. too much space between the top of the scrolling typing and the bottom with the tabs and where you enter your own text), there's a fix for that! When you are in the chat rooms, you can use the Browse menu on the left and choose "Float Chat." This will give you another browser tab and as you adjust the browser window, the chat window will re-size as well. With most browsers you can even click on the browser tab and drag it out of the browser for a "floating" chat window, like we had in Java-land.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0