Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cdr Wyatt Cayne

What Your Gut Tells You

What Your Gut Tells You

Captain Chirakis, Commander Cayne, and Gila Orrak

Hours after the TKR-117 Incident...

Gila knew something serious happened off-station, but whatever it was exactly, it had tapered off. Everyone on the commerce level was on edge, speaking in hushed tones as if speaking aloud would cause the next great disaster. She overheard conversations mentioning Federation starships returning. She took it as the long-distance incident made it over that insurmountable mountain and now they were on the other side of it. Working at the scent shoppe for Kelsa allowed her to acclimate to the diversity of species living on the station. She learned to read more people in a few days than years on Cardassia. There were perhaps more species here than any other starbase or starship in the entire fleet.

However, Gila was waiting for only one particular species-person combination on Aegis. A high-ranking Bajoran with Klingon undertones. She sent the message during the heat of a crisis so it was understandable the response was delayed. Still, a simple yes or no would suffice. Kelsa left for the day and once again left her in charge. Business was slowing down even though people began to gather outside. Lunch. Now that the Cardassian realized the time, she too was hungry. Several establishments delivered and she took to the terminal to place an order.

As soon as she logged in, a message popped up.

"Glinn Orrak, come to my office at your earliest convenience."

The Cardassian woman shifted from her quest of hunger to the hope that her request was about the possibility of a new duty on the station. She grabbed her water bottle and headed out from the shop, but not before switching the "Open" sign to "Stepped out back in one hour." She hurried to Chirakis' office as fast as a brisk walk through a crowd of patrons would allow.

Minutes later Gila stood at the door to her office. No security officer greeted her at the door. As soon as she came close to it, it slid open. The Starfleet officer she knew as Captain Chirakis, Chief of Security, looked up from her work, nodded, and waved her over. “Glinn Orrak, come in. Please sit. I will be with you momentarily.” She seemed to be frustrated and relaxed at the same time, if that was even possible.

Gila nodded quietly. As she sat, the butterflies in her belly awoke, a mix of hunger and apprehension. Within a few moments, the captain put her PADD aside, sighed, and shook her head.

“Work, work, and more work. Are you sure you want to be a security officer on this station? If so, this...” She waved at the backlog. “...is what you will eventually face.” With a minimal smile, the captain relaxed in her chair and regarded Gila calmly for a moment, then raised a brow. “Have you submitted your application?”

"Yes I do Captain. I am working on it and the endless questions they ask. I can have it on your desk tomorrow." Gila turned her eyes to the pile of work padds in front of her.

“Good,” said the captain without reservation. “Because you are scheduled to begin your training with Lieutenant Garand tomorrow. Are you prepared for that, or have you other duties to attend to?”

"Tomorrow? I, err, sure. Kelsa. I'll let her know of my absence." She looked relieved as this was not about some other transgression.

“She already knows, but it is best you tell her in person. She has spoken highly of you, Lieutenant. Moreover, I have made queries into your background and have spoken to some of those who encountered you on Cardassia. They, also, speak highly of you. That… and only that… is why I have waived what could easily have been countless roadblocks to your security position. I do not expect anything out of the ordinary in your application, but protocol is protocol. Therefore, before you begin your training I must have it. Have you any questions?”

The captain seemed to be rushing through things, but given the work on her desk, Gila thought it best not to press the issue. "Sir, may I ask one question, after this one?"

“That is why I asked if you had any questions, Lieutenant.” A faint smile appeared. “Please. Ask away.”

"What kind of security did you have in mind for me? Personal guard, patrolling the station, or something else?"

“All security officers begin in patrol, regardless of rank or experience,” the captain began, gesturing minimally while she spoke. “It is important that you become familiar with the station and its inhabitants, and that you and the other officers become familiar with each other. Working closely and quickly with fellow security personnel is paramount in a crisis, of which I am sure you are aware. Where we go from there will be determined when the time comes. If there are no more questions, carry on. My door is always open to new recruits.”

She was a lieutenant in the Cardassian Elite Guard, a recipient of the Golden Emblem for Gallantry, had an exemplary record, and yet something bothered her enough for her to almost shrink from moving forward. Starfleet? The military in general? This station and what we just experienced? Then again, everyone has been shaken lately. In any event, her reticence was palpable.

“Come,” said Kirel as the door chimed, and she put her thoughts aside in an attempt to be openminded. The door closed behind Cayne with a quiet hiss.

“Commander. Thank you for tearing yourself away from your favorite bistro on the commerce level.” She motioned to the chair opposite. “Sit. Let’s discuss our newest recruit.”

The grizzled Commander grinned. "Someone has to protect valuable assets on the station." He paused at the second revelation. "New recruit? Is it who I think it is?"

“Who do you think it is?” Several PADDs slipped into a drawer that slid closed with a satisfying thud. Even more relaxed, Kirel regarded him thoughtfully.

"I think she is a former Cardassian soldier who I believed to have died shortly after the Dominion bombardment of her homeworld, and who has no idea who I am." He looked vacantly into the distance. "She is capable I presume… inline with Starfleet security protocols?"

“Oh, definitely. In fact I have seen few soldiers like her. Have you been watching her?”

He flipped his fingers as he spoke. "As much as getting back to duties allows. She seemed nearly homeless and I think she has my favorite coat. I have not seen any of her military skills since she was a lower ranked officer on Cardassia.”

“Probably because she has not exhibited any,” Kirel suggested. “However, in your wanderings I want you to keep a close eye on her. I’m sure it will be a burden, but I am transferring you from the commerce deck to the training area.” If she ever smiled, it was half there. “Lieutenant Garand will begin her training tomorrow. Put your SI-6 expertise to use. Look for anything that is out of the ordinary for an experienced trainee, especially anything that would make her balk at a task.”

"I only met her once, the others times were from a distance, ugh, probably thought I was a stalker now that I think of it." Cayne rolled his eyes. "If she is as good as you say her record is she was watching me as well." He straightened up and placed his elbows on his knees.

"At that scent shop she spent a lot of time watching people, only going in after watching someone closely for a few minutes. I'm not sure she's been exposed to so many cultures before, certainly ones not through a Cardassian mouthpiece." Cayne looked up at Chirakis. "She is concerned about her appearance, the makeup and all," he chuckled, "you can tell from the forehead colorization and whatever they call those hair things."

"I have no doubt she could take care of herself in a melee, but I'll have to test her on that. I heard she is a good shot, and I mean really good?"

“We shall see. Lieutenant Garand will get to that level eventually.”

"Very well, but I would like to conduct my own evaluation, if that is allowed." Mentally he was already thinking of challenges.

The captain leaned back to regard him a moment. After a deep breath, her eyes narrowed slightly, maybe with a little skepticism, but no anger. “Once a trainer, always a trainer, Commander? As good a trainer as you were, remember that Lieutenant Garand is her trainer. You, Commander, are to watch, and not interfere, no matter how much your gut tells you to. Understood?”

"Yes Captain."