Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chirakis

Mind Games

Mind Games

Chirakis Kirel, Captain SI-5
Chief of Security, Sky Harbor Aegis
21 February 2388

~“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.”  Robertson Davies

To say that Kirel Chirakis was shaken would be an understatement. If what she and Dr. Pavilion saw on the holodeck were the translated thoughts of Transporter Chief Ono, Aegis could have a problem. If what they saw on the holodeck was, as Captain Ramson suspected, a manifestation of an alien species, Aegis most definitely had a problem.

Given her present state of mind, Kirel should have excused herself from Command and Control. However, Captain Ramson was in her office, held hostage by an endless conversation with Starfleet Command (the likes of which if you have not experienced, would be well beyond your comprehension), and Commander Coleridge was ready to transport a team to TKR-117 (a planet that did not seem to exist, but somehow did exist). This was not exactly the time to have a headache. Kirel had survived many things—slavery, starvation, torture, and several near-death experiences to name a few—so what possibly could have thrown her into such a state?

Confusion.

To explain, we must go back an estimated 100,000 years to the origins of TKR-117. At that time the planet was inhabited by a powerful civilization whose origins and history are largely unknown. Not long after Aegis relocated to the system, archaeologists found an immense buried city, approximately 60² km (23² miles) in size, and thousands of meters deep. Soon ancient artifacts of great value were unearthed. As a precaution against trafficking, the planet was declared off-limits to all but prominent scientists and highly-vetted workers. Traffic to and from TKR-117 is routed through Aegis and is strictly monitored.

Eventually, the Athra, a powerful species previously thought to be mythological, showed a vested interest in the city. When certain artifacts were withdrawn from their resting places, the Athra emerged from subspace and attacked Aegis twice. They eventually got their point across and what appeared to be sacred artifacts were no longer moved. Later on, in a strange twist of fate, the Athra defended the station from a devastating attack by the Breen. It left us wondering. But where there were questions, they furnished answers. Sort of.

1 August 2387
TKR-117, Archaeological Site

As the ranking officer of the sector, Kirel Chirakis was a prime target for formal affairs and therefore found herself on TKR-117 for the First Joint Allied Archaeological Conference. So far, she had endured many speeches and social events, the latter stretching her patience thin with its demand for formal attire, a constant pleasant expression, and the inevitable social babble that required polite listening and nodding while saying nothing of consequence.

There had been a few interesting reports on the excavation, however, so the conference was not a total loss. On the last day, Dr. Nagi, Director and Chief Archaeologist, took a select few to the most recent discovery: an unexplored stairway that led deep into the ancient buried city. He spoke with great enthusiasm, and Kirel listened. The group moved on, but Kirel remained behind, her eyes fixed on a heavy granite pillar that stood beside the supposed entrance to the underground city. Etched into its polished gray surface was a series of runes that seemed familiar, though Kirel was not schooled in runes. The ground around the open doorway was still moist where the dirt had been scraped away. As the excavation was very recent, the tunnel only extended a few yards, then came to an abrupt end, blocked by a wall of dirt laced with heavy vines.

As Dr. Nagi’s group disappeared in the distance, Kirel lingered to study the stone, then turned to examine the dig, which had become a stairwell. After inspecting the area, she began a slow, careful, and methodical descent. Heavy pillars similar to the doorway served as weight-bearing supports for an arched corridor. Each pillar bore a rune, none of which she recognized. She traced each rune with a finger, marked it, then moved on, counting levels and noting landmarks to track her position.

Several levels down, she realized that the light had not faded nor had the air become dank and heavy as it should have in any buried building. In fact, the light seemed to be following her. Then, as she stepped onto the main landing on level 12, she entered a large room and the entire atmosphere changed.

The light faded to absolute darkness, the air stilled, and she realized that she was not alone.

“Hello,” she said. “Who are you? What do you want?”

What do you seek?” a deep, but pleasant voice answered.

“Knowledge,” she replied after some thought.

Your species stores a vast amount of knowledge within your biological structure and within artificial storage units. Why do you come to us for knowledge?”

“Curiosity. We are eager to learn, and eager to explore. So I ask again, who are you?”

There was no response.

She waited several minutes. Still nothing. After a small sigh she turned to begin her ascent. Ten minutes later she emerged into darkness. According to her chronograph, she had been gone no longer than an hour. It was noon when she descended, but now it was night. Evidence of an archaeological site was nonexistent and the door to the buried city had become the entrance to a cave. Faint light on the horizon looked like some kind of settlement, but otherwise there was no evidence of life: no tracks, no nocturnal sounds. The air had a crisp freshness, and the stars were in an impossible configuration.

Either she was dreaming or she was on a totally alien planet far from Aegis space, perhaps even outside their galaxy.

You seek knowledge?”

Kirel spun around. No one was there. “Yes.”

Learn.”

21 February, 2388 (present day)
Sky Harbor Aegis Command and Control

Jackson aggravated her. That Captain Ramson was indisposed aggravated her. Though it was dinner time, Commander Coleridge’s absence from Command and Control aggravated her. In fact, there was not much that did not aggravate her. She was trapped in confusion, which is not good for any line officer.

“Thytrin.”

Her attention jerked from the console and she snapped, “What?” loud enough and sharp enough for everything in Command and Control to screech to a halt. Heads turned. Conversations ceased. A few cowered.

After an, “As you were,” and a quiet apology to Commander Coleridge, she turned her focus to her bondmate, Captain d’Ka, aboard USS Missouri. “Get out of my head.”

“Exactly what I was going to demand of you. Your uncontrolled psionic bursts interrupt my concentration.”

She continued to work. “Then block them.”

“Would that I could. As your bondmate, I cannot.”

She stopped working. Her fingers drummed the console as she stared at the tactical screen long enough to refocus. “Then tell me what to do.”

She felt a long pause in his thoughts before, “I can only advise you.”

She sighed. “Then advise me.”

“Very well. You are confused. The beings who inhabit TKR-117 are confusing you because they seem to appear in different forms. In reality, they appeared in only one form: light.”

Kirel considered that for a long moment as she continued to stare at the viewscreen while Jackson and Commander Coleridge attempted to restore main power and clear communication with the away team.

They appeared as Iconians when an away team accompanied me into the excavation,” Kirel retorted.

Are you certain? They are powerful. They have the means to cloud your perception. Then again, the Iconians and the Athra could be one and the same. ”

He must have felt her shock, because he added, “I am not saying that they are, only that they might be. Our eyes recognize what is familiar. What is unfamiliar is often perceived as familiar but incorrect. I would give that due consideration.”

After a moment of thought, her eyes narrowed. “Do you know these aliens?”

“I do not. The Athra, the Others, the Qadin.... They have as many names as there are species in the galaxy. Ancient names, buried in legend. Whatever you call them, they have power well beyond our knowledge, well beyond our meager understanding. Consider your perception of them, then erase it and look for the truth of who they are.”