Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chirakis

The Threat Has Been Neutralized

The Threat Has Been Neutralized

Personal Log
Chirakis Kirel, Captain SI-5
Chief of Security, Sky Harbor Aegis
21 February 2388, Stardate 2388.052

What does it take to bring a conspiracy to its knees? My preferred method would be to lop off heads and throw them to the dogs, but alas, there are more heads than dogs these days, and if there were enough dogs, I doubt that they would savor the heads of power with which we deal. There is also the little problem called protocol, wherein that particular mode of correction is shunned. However, for the sake of clarification—and for historical record I suppose—I have decided to recount the events of the last few months as I witnessed them. I understand that others’ accounts may differ, and that is to be expected. I can only speak to my knowledge and experience.

The subject of this personal log is the Argesil Conspiracy, named for the location of its first appearance. The conspiracy began a few months ago and caused a complete disruption in the governments of the Joint Allied Powers. Because of the implications, Aegis cut most contact with Starfleet and the Federation for a time.

I, and others, suspect the perpetrator was Ragor Tal, possibly the most brilliant independent racketeer I have ever encountered. He keeps his marauding group small, compartmentalized, and is highly skilled in manipulative, clandestine operations. His chief focus is conquest of governments, of areas of space, of rivals, and anything else that will suit his purpose and fill his coffers.

Ragor Tal’s modus operandi is to convince his target that the enemy is within. His operatives work their way into an organization, gain the ear of a prominent official, then lead the official to believe that the enemy is the official’s most trusted advisor. He pits one leader against the other, creates chaos and infighting, then moves in and takes over the organization by putting one of his own in command.

Throughout this last decade, the upper echelon of SI-5 had become acutely aware of several threats against the Joint Allied Powers, especially that of Ragor Tal. As a hedge against the possibility of conspiracy or other internal threats, a few knowledgeable and capable groups began the construction of Rendezvous October, a command and control center for those who could investigate threats, determine the threats’ targets, formulate strategies against them, and neutralize them. We built a base located beneath a technology complex equidistant from Federation and Ferengi space. ASTech (Air and Space Technology), the premier developer of cutting-edge technology for military and civilian spacecraft, is our supplier. Beneath their storage level and landing bays sits Rendezvous October.

As soon as a threat becomes apparent, a chosen few from the Joint Allied Powers gather to collaborate. Operatives from SI-5, SI-6, Starfleet Special Operations, the Tal Shiar, the Cardassian Elite Guard, and other elite groups—along with their trusted maintenance personnel—assemble in the bowels of ASTech.

The first test of the facility came a few months ago when the disappearance of the Breen not only created a power vacuum, it opened the door to Ragor Tal. Many agents, myself included, realized that an infiltration of the Joint Allied Powers’ highest levels of government had occurred.

Our first indication was the withdrawal of support and funding for powerful strategic bases, including the newly constructed Sky Harbor Aegis. It made no sense that the Joint Allied Powers would spend hundreds of billions to build such a powerful station and then abandon it.

Our second indication was the deployment of heavily armed Starfleet starships on senseless missions. Following that, the media began to spread word of conspiracies, threats from within, which led to public demands for cleansing.

Prominent officials at every level of government within the Joint Allied Powers were arrested and incarcerated under deplorable conditions, including SI-5 Director Torak. The conspirators then created a tightly controlled, ineffective government that could prove fatal to the Alpha Quadrant and allow Ragar Tal to take control.

Fortunately, the conspiracy endured only two months before the veil was lifted. Word circulated that an Alien Alliance of freed Breen slaves was examining the Alpha Quadrant with the intention of conquest, and Aegis’ struggle with a strange, powerful adversary called the Athra erupted in the media. That, and the disappearance of TKR-117 brought the Joint Allied Powers to their senses. The operatives of Rendezvous October played a major part in the plot’s demise, but the problem is still not not fully resolved.

During the command meeting two hours ago, I received word that “the threat had been neutralized”. Exactly what this means remains to be seen, however, the Joint Allied Powers now recognize the immediate threat, they understand that the threat is real, and that it is considerable. They see the value of Sky Harbor Aegis and will assist in our protection.

However welcome their protection is, I must admit that we were never without protection. In fact, the protection we have now is considerably more than the Joint Allied Powers could ever furnish. The Mithraan Defense Force, Nero’s Mining Consortium Defense, Task Force Aegis, and many RSE and Klingon starships that did not fall to the conspirators, have defended us well. Still, it is good to know that the Joint Allied Powers are coming to their senses.

In addendum, I believe that we might have another ally, one we previously assumed to be a threat. Captain Ramson senses many things, and during the command meeting she said she thought that the Athra have protected TKR-117 because they are still there—meaning that they never left and live there on a level we cannot understand. There are, of course, many things that I cannot grasp, but if I have learned nothing else in my lifetime, I have learned that often when things seem impossible, they are the exact opposite. Space travel was once thought to be impossible, and yet here we are.