Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cdr Wyatt Cayne

Gila Orrak

Gila Orrak

Cdr Cayne and Chirakis

Security Lt David Garand walked casually through the garden, monitoring those who had taken refuge in the park during red alert. Two other officers flanked him as they wandered through at a discreet distance, occasionally stopping to talk, answer questions, and to reassure the population that all is well and that they would soon be able to return to their homes, places of business, or dinners very soon. Their sweep took in most of the park, but centered on one particular area that was occupied by a group of children and one Cardassian newcomer. Normally, adults who came aboard the station looked immediately for housing or jobs. This one associated with children.

When the Cardassian left the group, Garand moved slowly in her direction. He watched for a few minutes, then approached her casually, politely introduced himself, addressed her by name, and suggested they take a walk together so they could talk in private.

She swallowed hard. "How do you know my name? Am I in trouble?"

He shrugged. “I’m a security officer. I’m supposed to know everyone’s name, especially for newcomers to the station.” His eyes flicked in her direction. “Is there a reason you should be in trouble?”

"No. I mean, no. Not anymore. Not here on...what is this station, Aegis?" She kept pace with the security officer figuring any escape would be too risky.

“Yes. It’s Sky Harbor Aegis, and a little more than a station, but we call it one. Best one on this edge of the galaxy.” His brows rose into a minimal smile that seemed genuine. “But then, there isn’t any other station on this edge of the galaxy.” He chuckled. “You’ve been in trouble before, then. Most of us have at one time or other. Was it anything that would come back to bite you?”

"Bite me?"

“Oh, sorry. It’s a figure of speech that we Terrans use, one not usually used in Federation Standard. It means that you have something in your background that could come up again and get you in trouble.”

Gila shook her head, her single braid flopping about. "Did that little thief go running to someone to tell on me. He took the girl's tickets to the holodeck. He only got a little wet." She shook her head and stared at the ground, cursing in her head.

“Oh, that. I saw that, but didn’t know what problem he caused. Thought you handled it pretty well. He’s what we call an instigator—likes to cause problems for the other kids, especially girls in the park. And no, he didn’t come running. He’s pretty harmless; we just keep an eye on him. He would have given the tickets back eventually, especially if the little Rihan girl had come after him.” He smirked and shook his head, like Annisha was no one to reckon with.

She felt a bit more relaxed. "So, if the boy is not the reason you approached me, what is?"

“Curiosity, mostly.” His head ticked toward an empty picnic table. “Have a seat. We’ll talk it over.” This time his expression was more insistent, a little less congenial.

"S-sure..." she said with a pinch of reluctance.

“Tell me why you’re watching the girls,” he said calmly, straddling a bench to face her.

"Why I'm watching the girls? I only met Annisha in the park by accident, but then I've been spending a lot of time in the park." That did not sound good. "I did not mean to hang around with them. The three of them were merely in the park shortly after that incident. Then the klaxon sounded. They knew where to go and I didn't. I did not touch any of them. Honest." She realized she looked like… a vole right about now.

He seemed to accept that at face value, but leaned on the tabletop, as her expression change repeatedly, eventually settling on frightened.

“Okay,” he said, pulling a PADD that hung at his side. “We know that you came here for some reason—everyone does—but we don’t exactly know what reason. And by that I mean that you had more reason to come here, way out on the edge of nowhere, than just to get a job. Most people who land here are proprietors, miners, dock workers, and the like. You’re not in any of those categories, but you came here instead of going to a station closer to civilization where you could find work. Why did you choose this one? That’s a question I’ve been trying to answer since we started watching you.” He paused to tap on the PADD then swivel it so she could see.

“Your name is Gila Orrak, former Cardassian military, and I’m guessing the Cardassian Guard. You had quite a distinguished service record because I don’t have access to your record. Only my commanding officer does, and she’s quite a bit higher up the chain of command. She’s a little busy right now, so we’ve been watching you closely, and this is what we’ve seen.”

The PADD began to play snips of surveillance footage that showed her talking to the children, saying a few things that could be incriminating:

“The journey here was long. People were looking at me the entire voyage and not in a good way.”

“This was my last stop before…. I had no other destination.”

“I need a place to stay for a while. Don't suppose you know of any places, or perhaps your parents need some tasks done for room and board.”

Alexis said, “I'll talk with Dacia when she gets back, maybe she can talk with the quartermaster... or can't Jylliene find a room for her?”

Annisha nodded, “She's operations.. I don't see why not….”

“Interesting conversations. It doesn’t tell me much directly, but it implies quite a bit, and it looks suspicious. And that’s why we’re talking. Understand?”

"Yes I understand. I meant no harm. I only have been here a few days. This is as far as my credits would take me. What did you think I was doing with them?”

He shrugged and blanked the screen. “I think you were getting close to the children for some reason.”

"Oh." She looked down at her hands, not looking him in the face.

Garand slipped the PADD into its case and turned to face her again. “Tell you what. You know we’re watching. I’m not going to say that you have to stay away from them, but watch yourself. If we see anything questionable, you’ll be downstairs in a very special room faster than you can blink. Got it?”

"Yes...sir."

Nodding, he stood and pointed at a kiosk as he handed her a card. “Take this over there. Get something to eat. See you around.” He moved on.