Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Randall

Back In The Saddle

OFFICIAL LOG

LIEUTENANT JOHN RANDALL

USS CHALLENGER

(Personal Log Stardate 11610.07)

John continued to improve day by day at the medical facility on Starbase 179. The day soon came when the CMO of the starbase hospital informed him that his injuries were healed and he was getting a clean bill of health. He was being released from the hospital, all he had to do was put his electronic signature on his release wafer, and he was a free man.

John was gathering his belongings together when there was a knock on the open door of the medical room he was still in. Randall turned and his eyebrows went up as Admiral Jason Baldwin entered. "Hello, Lieutenant," said the Starfleet admiral. "They tell me you're being released today."

"That's correct, sir," replied the chief engineer of the Challenger. "I bet you're chomping at the bit, eh?" smiled Baldwin, and Randall gave a small smile in return. "That would be an accurate statement, sir," he said. Baldwin nodded, then cocked his head at John. "I get the feeling you're not really happy to see me, Lieutenant," he said.

"With all due respect, Admiral, the only time you come to see me is when you are trying to recruit me for something," John said, and Baldwin nodded again. "That does seem to be the case," he admitted. "And I think you're going to think that again, because I have a request for you. Maybe I should say, I've been asked to pass a request on to you."

John raised his eyebrows. "John, there's a new starship sitting in the dock of this station," Baldwin continued. "She's the USS Arizona, and she's essentially a training vessel for now. There's a crew of cadets aboard her, save the captain. Her name is Amanda Russell, and she's a new captain, she was promoted just a month ago. She served as first officer of the USS Saratoga, and the Arizona is her first command.

"She's been trying to get some seasoned officers to serve as her command crew onboard the Arizona," Baldwin went on. "She's basically got a skeleton command crew, most of them are fulfilling two jobs. She came to Starbase 179 looking for some more command personnel, and when she came to me about it, I instantly thought of you, mentioned your name and your specialty, and she instantly said she needed a good chief engineer.

"While you're waiting around on the Challenger, which seems to be in a sticky situation at the present time, I thought you might get back into the swing of things by serving as chief engineer of the Arizona. You'll be supervising the cadets as they do their jobs, and you will be in full command of engineering. And, most likely, you'll be the third-in-command aboard her. Russell is trying out a commander at the first officer position, but she says he has a lot to learn. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of Captain Russell aboard that ship. That is, if you're interested in the position."

John had been mulling the idea over in his mind as he got the general idea of what Baldwin was saying to him. It seemed like the perfect set of circumstances for him to get his spacelegs back before he rejoined the Challenger. He nodded at Baldwin. "Sounds like the perfect setup for me, sir," he said. "I take it the Arizona hasn't done her shakedown cruise yet."

Baldwin nodded. "That's essentially correct, John," he agreed. "It won't be a long one, and it won't take you too far away from Starbase 179. A couple of A.U.s or so is all, I told Russell that's probably all you'd have time for, and she said that would be fine. So you'll take the job?"

John nodded. "So when do I board?" he asked, and Baldwin replied, "She said as soon as you became available." Randall blinked at him, a little taken aback. "Is she that desperate?" he said half-jokingly, and Baldwin never cracked a smile. "She is, Lieutenant," he replied. "I think you're going to be welcomed with open arms. You've been in Starfleet for five and a half years now, correct?" Randall nodded. "John, Russell has been in for seven years, and her first officer trainee has only been in for three," the admiral continued. "Tenure wise, you will be the second longest serving officer onboard the Arizona."

John stared at Baldwin, stunned. He was going to serve on a vessel that basically was going to be crewed by green-as-grass cadets. He thought to himself, 'Well, you wanted a challenge, you got one here, Randall.' He nodded to the admiral. "Then I guess I better report for duty, sir," he said, and Baldwin grinned. "I told Russell she was getting a first-rate officer," he said. "Just do your thing, Lieutenant, and it should more than suffice. Let's get you checked out of here."

"Aye, sir," replied Randall, and the two men left the room, striding down the corridor to the turbolift. They rode it down to the lobby, and John signed his departure wafer. Baldwin then walked him to the transporter room, and John beamed aboard the Arizona.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Randall materialized aboard the Arizona, and he was staring at two Starfleet officers as he shimmered into existence atop the dais. He stepped down and was met by an extended hand from a brunette with a smile on her face. "You must be Lieutenant Randall," she said in a contralto voice, and John nodded as he shook hands with her.

"I'm Captain Amanda Russell," the brunette continued. "I'm very glad to meet you, Lieutenant. I understand you're the chief engineer of the Challenger. How come you were here in the hospital at SB 179?"

"It's a long story, Captain, and somewhat classified, I'm afraid," replied Randall. "I was on a mission with Starfleet Intelligence that didn't go exactly as planned, shall we say." Russell made a grimace, and made a sweeping motion with her hand. "Say no more, Mr. Randall," she said. "Anything having to do with SI, I stay away from." They both grinned, then the captain turned to the man standing beside her.

"This is Commander William Thomas," she said, and the two men nodded to each other. "He's risen through the ranks fairly rapidly, but that's due to him being a hard worker, and he's good with people. Commander, as you have no doubt overheard, this is Lieutenant John Randall, the chief engineer of the USS Challenger."

Thomas nodded again at John. "A pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant," he said. "The Challenger has quite a reputation going for itself. I would venture a guess you've had some, er, interesting missions since you've been aboard her." Randall smiled. "That would be one way of putting it, sir," he agreed, and they all laughed.

"Well, this will probably seem like a milk run for you, Lieutenant," Thomas continued. John quickly held up a hand. "Call me superstitious, sir, but I believe there's no such thing as a 'milk run'. Anything can happen any time when you're in space." Russell nodded. "I couldn't agree more, Mr. Randall. Don't ever take anything for granted, Mr. Thomas. Maybe that's something you need to work on."

Thomas looked at both of them, then nodded. "Yes, ma'am," he said, and the captain waved a hand. "Let's get the lieutenant here down to engineering so we can get this show on the road. You have the bridge, Mr. Thomas, I will contact you when we are ready to go." "Aye, Captain," replied the first officer as he nodded to John. "Mr. Randall, look forward to working with you," he said as he turned to leave. "Likewise, Commander," John said, and Thomas exited the room.

Russell and Randall rode the turbolift to engineering, and John entered the room where the crew was standing in formation to greet them. The captain introduced him to the crew, then told them she wanted to be ready to ship out in 30 minutes. She then left, and John told the crew to relax and do their jobs, he would be around if they needed him. He then ordered them to their stations, and the crew got to work.

John went into the CE's office to log in as the chief engineer of the Arizona, then went back out into the room where he was immediately hailed by four cadets. The chief engineer helped each one of them out, and the half hour passed rather quickly. The captain's voice then came over the intercom.

"Russell to Randall," it said, and John punched the 'comm button at the main console. "Randall here," he answered. "Are we ready to go, Lieutenant?" asked the captain, and John replied, "Engineering is ready, ma'am." "Acknowledged, Russell out," said the captain, and Randall grinned at the nervous cadets surrounding the console. "All right, here we go," he said, and they all smiled nervously back at him.

John watched his panel, and a few moments later, the indicators lit up that signified the ship had left the dock. Then the whine increased slightly from the warp engines, and John knew they had gone to warp. He looked at the speed indicator, and noted they were traveling at warp 4. He studied the readouts from the engines, and nodded, satisfied with what he saw.

The intercom crackled again. "Bridge to engineering," came the voice of the captain. "Randall here," answered John. "How we doing, Chief?" asked the captain. "Smooth sailing so far, Captain," said Randall. "Engines are performing nominally." "Acknowledged, Chief," answered the captain. "Bridge out."

John sat back and smiled at the cadets. "Just relax and do your jobs," he said. "Try to enjoy it as much as you can. We're in space." The cadets nodded nervously at him, and John thought to himself, 'It wasn't that long ago I was one of them. Take it easy on them, Randall, they're still pretty scared right now.'

He wondered what was going on aboard the Challenger; obviously the mission had gone awry, whatever it was. He hoped he would his shipmates soon.

END LOG