Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sam_SemaJ

reflex test results - med staff log

Blast you, Beilyn, he silently cursed himself. Dr. Teth Beilyn scrunched his already-ridged nose as he pushed the padd away. As he did, he reflected on math never having been his strong suit. Being a child and coming of age on post-occupation Bajor was a strange thing. The older generation, of course, had fierce pride and believed wholeheartedly in their people. But their life experiences were somewhat skewed, their perspectives into living one's life had trouble focusing on much else than mere survival, preservation of themselves as a people. How had his civics teacher put it in mid-level?

"In this new era, we need to show this planet, this Federation, and this galaxy that Bajorans are capable of so very much more than freedom fighting, which we've already proved our prowess at."

For this reason, Teth had strived to be the best doctor he could, and he was indeed quite accomplished, save for mathematics.

"Computer" he said defeated, please graph these results against the normal results for humans.

The computer beeped and with an instantaneity his padd work could only dream of, a statistical curve popped up on the screen. Teth stared for a moment uncomprehendingly. If only being a doctor involved solely the care of patients. He was certainly smart enough to deal with all the surrounding scientific work, it just didn't draw his love or attention. He had failed one board exam on account of this and would be Petty Officer First Class had it not been for that. But he had this residency, saw more than his fair share of patients with the skeleton crew that ran this sickbay, so he couldn't much complain. He drew a faint conclusion from the data, but it was with the timidity of a student, desiring vindication from those with more experience.

"Vin'Ji, can you come look at this, please?" Quick and sure feet made their way to the console where he stood. Sharp eyes regarded the data and then craned their way up to his face. Teth Beilyn was tallish for a Bajoran, and Vin'Ji was fairly petite. Still, for their height difference, her eyes regarded his with the stark confidence that so often correlates with pointed ears.

"Strange," came the brief reply. "It doesn't follow the curve…but it's not exactly outlier data. This is from a reflex test, correct?"

Teth nodded "Yeah, this is from my physical on Ariom, our guest from the nebula. Torra wanted me to do some comparative analysis on this test after some kind of discussion with the new…well I guess the old counselor. She probably could have done it, but she was obsessing over DNA analysis, so she pushed it off on me.

Vin'Ji gave a single nod, "Yes…Dr. Czing's love for research is admirable…even if sometimes carried to distraction." She pulled up another few screens and flipped through them. "This subjects muscular and reflexive anatomy does not deviate genetically from the normal human model…I would say any statistical anomalies are the product of acquired traits."

"Like…adaptations? To the way he uses his muscles…walks?" Teth had the point of this on the tip of his mind…he just couldn't complete it.

"Well. The reason this graph is spread as such," she indicated the data on the screen, "is because of the vast variety of gravities experienced on the many worlds from which these data are taken. However, intensity is the only factor that changes, among planets gravity functions the exact same way."

Teth nodded…mostly because that's what you do when someone smart is talking. For all her genius though, she was a medical care-giver through and through. It kind of amazed Teth about Vin'Ji. She had one of the most fantastic bedside manners he had ever seen. Somehow, he had not yet figured it out, she could put a patient completely at ease with neither a smile or a reassuring touch. Despite her emotionless lack of these tools, she was amazing with patients. That didn't mean she didn't nail it when it came to this kind of stuff…he listened intently.

"I suspect, and perhaps prematurely," she continued, "that the gravity on this individual's homeward works in some fundamentally different way than it does on a regular planetoid, leading their populace to develop somewhat different ways of coping with balance and muscular systems." She looked at him with finality.

"Alright, I see where you are going. I won't take up any more of your time, I can write up the report for Torra…thanks"

With another single nod, Dr. Vin'Ji was headed back to her own work. Dr. Teth prepared himself to begin writing the report, but a message popped up on the screen before he could.

[Ops>Teth, Beilyn Dr.: Please report as medical attachment to away team. Report to cargo bay 2 for assignment of special medical equipment.]

Teth rested his head against the console and sighed. He then pushed himself off and made his way for the turbolift. Blasted away mission.