Welcome to Star Trek Simulation Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cmdr Ridire

Finalizing plans

By: Cmdr Ridire & Dr. Matthews

Aidan walks into his quarters and frowns slightly at the silence..well silence except for the cat’s snoring. His shift today ended an hour earlier then Deb’s will and it’s too early to start making supper. He thinks for a few moments then moves over to the couch and sits down. He turns the computer display towards him and activates it. He has the computer place a call back home to Earth, to his sister specifically. After a few minutes her smiling face shows up on the screen.

He smiles and says "Glad to see your smile. I trust you and mom and dad are doing well? And how is your latest boyfriend?" As he says the last a teasing tone enters his voice.

"He's fine! So are mom and dad!" There was a time when she would have responded with a brilliantly glib reply to her brother's greeting. But right now, she was simply too delighted to see him to bother with such things. It had been a long while since she'd heard from Aidan. She assumed he was keeping in touch with their parents but she wasn't even sure about that.

"You look wonderful!," she continued, offering him her brightest smile yet. "Have you been staying out of trouble?"

Aidan keeps his smile from slipping, surprised that Deb hadn't mentioned to his family his recent medical escapade. "Oh for the most part. I have to get into a little bit of trouble from time to time. And Deb is doing well also. She’s been keeping me on a tight leash. But then I suppose that’s the job of a wife." His smile twists into a smirk "I trust Ian has been behaving himself so I don't have to come home and protect my little sister? Though on the flip side I don't suppose there's a chance my little sister is going to settle down anytime soon?"

"Ian..." Ciara grinned wistfully and shrugged one shoulder. "Nothing much happening with Ian," she said and then quickly changed the subject. "And don't talk to me about leashes, big brother. Deb doesn't need a leash for you. You don't need one for her either. The two of you are so...so...besotted you'd follow one another through hell and back."

She smiled brightly and leaned forward bringing her face so close to the screen she practically touched it with her nose. "So tell me," she whispered conspiratorially. "Why are you contacting me directly rather than going through the parental units?"

He smiles at her besotted claim. He shrugs "I'm not talking to mom & dad about this because I have a favor to request of you. And it seems to me that you’re old enough to answer for yourself without mom & dad being directly involved." His tone takes on a teasing tone at the last. His tone sobers as he asks, "I was wondering if you’d be willing to live in Hawaii for a while? Well or at least weekend there on a regular basis."

She drew back as though she'd been shocked....which was true in a weird sort of way. "Would she like to live in Hawaii? Was the man crazy!!!" Ciara had to bite her tongue to keep the words from spilling out. A thousand thoughts raced through her mind not the least of which was how could Aidan make such a thing happen. She recovered her wits and stared at the image on the screen. "I think I could be convinced to live in Hawaii....or at least....weekend there on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I don't have the income necessary for a such an adventure and I doubt our parents would be willing to indulge me."

"You've graduated from college. Are you telling me you couldn't find a job in Hawaii if you so wished? As for housing...well that’s kind of why I'm asking this favor. I think you know that Deb and I will be living in Hawaii when we decide to retire. We have a plot of land that we bought last year and I'm thinking of giving Deb a Christmas gift of building the house we've been planning. But since it may be a couple years till we retire it would be better to have someone taking care of the house and watching over it in the meantime."

Ciara stared at Aidan as though he'd lost his mind. "A house! For Christmas!" Why couldn't she find someone like her brother to fall in love with. "And Deb doesn't know? Are you sure about this? What if she doesn't like the house you pick out?" She leaned a bit closer to the small screen, already planning her new, tropical wardrobe. "But don't worry. No matter what, I'll be more than happy to house sit for you."

"Sister mine, I said that I was thinking of having the house that we've been planning. Meaning she has been involved in helping design the house we want to build. But no..she doesn't know I'm planning to go forward with getting it built. She thinks it’s still just a design we created in the holodeck." He shrugs and adds "Assuming everything goes well the house will be done by Christmas so you'd have to housesit after Deb and I returned to our ship. Oh and there are a couple rules. Starting with no parties. I want the house to be intact for when we return, sis." He says the last teasingly."

Ciara grinned mischievously and batter her eyes at her brother. "No parties? Ever? Is that negotiable?" The look on Aidan's face was priceless and she couldn't help laughing. "Never fear, brother mine! You know I am a respectable young lady." She leaned closer yet to the little screen. "My parties are always very sedate."

He smirks "Then those parties can happen in a hotel suite that you rent while in Hawaii. Because lets remember there’s quite a bit of things you probably really don't want the parents to know that I do happen to know. The only three people I want staying in that house, except for Deb and myself, are you, mom and dad. But go to as many parties as you want while in Hawaii...." He points a finger at her on the screen and adds "...but no hosting any. And no..that’s not negotiable and any attempt to will just make me ask the parents to watch over the house in the weekend and lets see how much fun you have when they're in Hawaii at the same time as you are."

"Hmmm..." Ciara pasted a mock frown on her pretty face and tried to glare at Aidan. "So you would tell on me? And a moment ago I thought you were such a wonderful brother." She leaned back in her chair, her semi-frown turning into a slight smile. "You're a hard man to negotiate with." She held up her hands to prevent him from speaking. "Oh, that's right....this isn't a negotiation....I forgot....it's a favor you're asking of me." And what a favor, she mused quietly. Then she graced him with a beautiful and again leaned toward the monitor. "You know very well I would love to housesit for you and don't worry...no parties....I promise." She canted her head to the right and stared into her brother's deep emerald eyes....eyes very much like her own. "You really are exceptional. I'm sure Deb will be bowled over by this gift. All I ask is that you inform our parents that you've asked me to watch over your house until you two decide to quick traipsing all over the galaxy." She rolled her eyes dramatically. "They'll never believe me!"

He smirks "Don’t worry, I will inform the parents. And you’re getting quite a payment for this favor I’m asking. You out from under the watchful eyes of mom and dad and not having to pay such things as rent or mortgage. Besides when Deb and I do come home permanently it will be to see to our children and I’m quite sure that my young sister will not only enjoy being an aunt but also a godmother." He adds in amusement "And I’m sure Deb will enjoy shopping in Hawaii with her sister in law. And I’m sure my sister will very much enjoy the beaches..and especially the guys on the beaches. I just want my house to be intact is all."

He was right....on all counts. This was a lot more than doing one's brother a favor. This was an opportunity to change the direction of her life. And considering how things were going with Ian, Ciara knew she needed to change directions. Moving to Hawaii was just the thing the doctor ordered. She smiled brightly at her older brother, again wondering if there were anymore out there like him. She couldn't believe she was capable of thinking such a thing. But, she had to admit, in spite of the teasing and torture he'd subjected her to during her younger years, Aidan had turned out to be a really, really good guy.

"I agree to your terms," she said resolutely. "All of them and that includes no parties." Her smile softened somewhat as she studied his handsome face. "Deb's a lucky lady," she said softly. "A very lucky lady."

He smiles though he feels a blush crawling the back of his neck. "Funny..I would more say that I’m the lucky one." He pauses for a second "Once the house is done and Deb and I have spent our Christmas break there, I’ll loan you enough money to buy furniture that suits your taste for one of the guest rooms. And when we retire you can keep the furniture." He smirks faintly "I think I can trust my sister to repay said loan sometime before either one of us dies..."

"That's very sweet of you," replied Ciara with a pleased smile. "All I have to do is find a job and I'll be able to pay you back." She batted her eyelashes at him. "Know anyone in Hawaii looking for help?"

He smiles and shakes his head. "Unfortunately no, I don't know anyone personally in Hawaii. I will check through my contacts in the scientific community to see if there are any scientists or professors in Hawaii looking for a particularly vivacious assistant, however." He pauses then smirks "Or you know you could always become a professor yourself and teach."

"No thanks," replied Ciara shaking her head slowly. "I've no plans to get stuck in the classroom. But don't worry your handsome head about it. I'll find a job in research somewhere near there. If not, I'll panhandle if I have to but I will definitely be house sitting for you." She smiled gleefully. "You'll be so jealous of my tan when I see you next."

He smirks "You'd be a good teacher. You'd relate to the kids since you sometime still act like one yourself. And as for my being jealous of your tan...yeah I hate to break this to you but if I can arrange things Deb and I will be spending at least several weeks at the house in Hawaii before you get to move in on your house sitting task." He tsks and adds "You think I'd build a house in Hawaii and let you enjoy it before me? Apparently in my time away from home my sister has started to forget about me."

Ciara laughed as she shook her head. "Oh, believe me, I haven't forgotten about you, dear brother. But after you and your bride return to wherever ship is, I'll be sunning myself on your beautiful beach....for months on end." She pointed at him and grinned. "By the time you come back, I guarantee you'll be jealous." She smiled, pleased by the expression of righteous indignation that slowly appeared on Aidan's face. Unfortunately, it was quickly replaced by one of painful tolerance....an expression she'd seen countless times from her older sibling as they were growing up.

"Don't worry," she continued, her tone somewhat placating. "I'll find something to keep me busy in Hawaii. And I promise that when you return, not only will you be jealous of my fantastic tan, you'll find your new home in pristine condition." She meant it too! She would respect his request (really it was a demand) that she refrain from holding parties at the house. Such a thing was highly unlikely considering she didn't know a soul in Hawaii. It would takes months to accrue enough friends and acquaintances for an all out party. But, she couldn't help but take comfort in the fact her dear brother hadn't forbidden smaller, more intimate gatherings.

He considers her for a few seconds then adds, as if reading her mind, "And as for smaller....social events I trust my sister will exercise due restraint, discretion and common sense. Oh by the way...except for household cleaning you may consider the master bedroom off limits." He smirks and adds teasingly "Or I’ll ask mom and dad to keep a close eye on you. No pushing the limits as you’re wont to do, sister mine."

He glances up at the clock and then says "Well I should be going. Deb will be home in a minute or two and I don’t want her becoming suspicious that something is up. Take care of yourself, sis."

"Thanks for this opportunity, Aidan. Be sure to let me know when you want me in Hawaii. I promise, I won't let you down." Ciara kissed her fingertips and gently placed them on the small monitor. "Please take care of yourself. We all worry about you and Deb. I hope you'll come home soon....for good."

He smiles "I’ll let you know once our Christmas plans are finalized. And you’re welcome..but sister mine, do be careful. You will be on your own in Hawaii far from family. And we will come home for good soon..though it’s kind of up to Deb at this point. I’d be fine with coming home now. I have...better plans in mind then traipsing around the galaxy now."

"How typical", thought Ciara. "He talks like I'm still sixteen." She was about to make a smart remark when she realized how nice it was to have him express concern for her being on her own so far away from home. He was still her big brother and he worried about her. He also trusted her and she promised herself she wouldn't disappoint him. She gave him a coy smile. "Maybe I'll have a chat with Deb when you bring her home... talk her into finally settling down." It was all she could do to keep from laughing at the expression on Aidan's face. "Then again, maybe not. I should probably let you handle that."

Ciara leaned back in her chair and waved at her brother. "Again, take care...and I'll see you fairly soon."